OK, y'all Imo climb on my high horse.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

OK, y'all Imo climb on my high horse.

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Everyonebody and he/she brother talking Larceny. In me opinion, all's it is is a inferior Maker's Mark. Now, mind you, me dog say the self same thing, and he know bourbon. Now, mind you agin, it ain't bad stuff, nawsir, it ain't bad some atall. And I'll give it to y'all, its a peg over ordinary, but Mike don't need heself no nother bottle. Gimme some Old Weller Antique 'stead.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: OK, y'all Imo climb on my high horse.

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:35 pm

I have to agree old weller antique any day over makers mark and larceny
Bob Barker

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Bob Barker wrote:I have to agree old weller antique any day over makers mark and larceny

Agreed.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:06 pm

with the rebates putting a 750 of larceny into your paws for a measly $11 though......you cant knock it!

its far better than makers too!

i will load up on it before the rebates end. after that, i dont know....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

This is a case of Coke versus Pepsi. I prefer the Larceny, but the Makers is pretty good too. Had some last night on the rocks and then as an old fashioned. I guess Larceny is a new label of old fitz, so it's a case of the old whore in a new dress. I'm on my second big bottle of Larceny. I don't like new labels, but it got me to try it, plus the rebate was nice. This new bottle cost $38 which is about $7 bucks cheaper than Maker's here.

I probably won't be contributing to the Makers shortage, so that will be good news for y'all.

Wellers is always good too.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:13 pm

ive only tried regular makers, and didnt like that bourbon flavored water. at the price of M46, im not going to buy a bottle to find if i like it or not. If im out and can get a shot of it, ill try it.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

393foureyedfox wrote:ive only tried regular makers, and didnt like that bourbon flavored water. at the price of M46, im not going to buy a bottle to find if i like it or not. If im out and can get a shot of it, ill try it.

I wouldn't go that far. I would say that WL Weller SR is as good for a fraction of the price. And you must admit, Maker's comes in a nice looking bottle with the hand dipped red wax on top.

I do get an alcohol taste that isn't all that great from Maker's, and it's light on flavor.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 am

Birdo wrote:
I do get an alcohol taste that isn't all that great from Maker's, and it's light on flavor.

my point exactly.

and while i like Larceny, it isnt the greatest thing out there.....BUT, with the rebates, it IS the best thing you can get for $11 a 750
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 am

Yep, Larceny is a nice mid-grade bourbon, and with the rebate a great deal. Without the rebate, the 750ml is pricey, but the 1.75l is reasonable.

My niche in bourbon is to find stuff I thoroughly enjoy at a reaseonable price. I'm not on a tight budget, but I don't like to over spend either.

Based on my experience with Weller SR, and Mikes opinion of the Old Weller Antique, I should buy a bottle of Antique. It will be on my list to buy soon, problem is, I have a bunch of undrunk bourbon on hand.
Birdo

Unread postby ekamphaus » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 pm

old weller antique is one of the best for the price if you can find the twelve year variant it is one of the best for the price
ekamphaus

Return to Bourbon, Straight