Bourbon recoomendation

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon recoomendation

Unread postby newbourbon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:57 am

Hi.

I'm traveling to London and then to India. I'll be staying with a family friend in London and in India and I would like to give each a good Bourbon as gift. They both are single malt scotch drinkers, so they will appreciate something American. Any recommendation on what would be a good gift of Bourbon will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep each purchase under $120.

What are good online stores that have a wide selection bourbon?

Thanks,
NB
newbourbon

Re: Bourbon recoomendation

Unread postby Bob Barker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Binnys has a good selection and I would suggest maybe blantons good or blantons single barrel if available. Another great American bourbon is bookers and widely available
Bob Barker

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 pm

bookers is awesome......IF you like that high of a proof. Im the newest to bourbon of all my friends, but i prefer the higher proofs like Bookers. Its not for everyone, especially if youre a fan of bourbon flavored water like Makers
393foureyedfox

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am

Here are a few:

http://www.drinkupny.com/american_bourb ... y_s/75.htm
http://www.juliosliquors.com/wp/index.p ... inventory/
http://www.binnys.com/spirits#/?page=1& ... 303&sort=3

I'm not sure where you live, so you will have to check to see if they deliver to your state. Julios is a great place to shop online but there site is not as straight forward as the others. Better to give them a call. They know whiskey. I believe each of the stores above have special bottlings from time to time. These are usually hand selected casks and are always special. Also, when you bring it on the plane, put it in your carry-on. If you put it in your luggage, it will be at the mercy of the gorillas throwing it into the cargo hold. I had a friend bring several bottles to Japan once, only to find his clothes SOAKED in whiskey after removing the bag from the carrousel.

Have a safe and fun trip,
RG

P.S. A quick look on the sites shows Binny's has a Hand Picked Blanton's for $55. That would be my pick.
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

I would say WT kentucky spirit, or four roses single barrel. Both are amazing expressions of the craft.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Satty Beach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Even though I'm not a proponent of Duty Free because I see it as a dumping ground, if you sample the bourbons on the drinks cart (as you will have ample time to), you can find something decent. If they are not bourbon drinkers, it doesn't matter if it is Old Crow or an exotic 18 y/o, and I could make the Old Crow argument all day (well lubricated pontificating as-it-were). Given you have to hit a certain price point, stick to small batch bourbons to avoid deviation problems sometimes found in ultra small runs and exotics. IMHO you are better off sticking with something generic, just be prepared for "whiskey face", whatever it is.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

if you want to stay in a reasonable price range four roses small batch and knob creek small batch are both excellent whiskies to get people.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 pm

If I was introducing someone, my choices would be Rare Breed, 4RSmB or Lot B. Or even EWSB 2003. If you want something very different, bring a good rye too, such as Willett's 4 yr old.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Return to Bourbon, Straight