Jim Beam Black, Fighting Cock, Larceny, or 4 Roses?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Jim Beam Black, Fighting Cock, Larceny, or 4 Roses?

Unread postby joepa150 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Greetings,

I started drinking scotch, then moved on to making Old Fashions with bourbon, and then Manhattans with bourbon, and for about the last year, I have been just drinking bourbon straight. As much as I like Old fashions and Manhattans, drinking it straight is what I enjoy the most.

Out of these 4 bourbons what should I buy based on what I like below.
Jim Beam Black $18
Fighting Cock $16
Larceny $22 (if all were same price I probably buy this from reviews but it is more than I like to spend)
4 Roses yellow bottle for $15

I am not great at picking out what notes I like and don't like but these are the bottles I have finished since drinking straight.
1-5 star scale 5 being the highest
Buffalo Trace Special single barrel for Total wine ****
Evan Williams Black**
Evan Williams 1783 *****
Evan Williams Single Barrel ****
Sure Shot ($10 at total wine. not sure name) *
Olde Grande Dad 86 proof **
Old Weller Special Reserve ****
Old Crow * Great for mixing though
Johnny Walker Black ** Not a bourbon though

I have had a few other Bourbons but that was when I mixed them so they don't count.
joepa150

Re: Jim Beam Black, Fighting Cock, Larceny, or 4 Roses?

Unread postby Birdo » Sat May 18, 2013 10:20 am

They are cheap enough that you should try all four. I like Fighting Cock and Larceny best neat or on the rocks. Beam Black is a bit lighter and more mainstream, works well in mixed drinks like you mentioned, and is pretty good on ice.

Four roses yellow is lighter and a bit fruity, great in an old fashioned, but too light for a rocks drinker. I suggest replacing this choice with four roses single barrel or Bulleit, both from 4 roses as a better choice than Yellow Label.

Once you figure out what you like best, get the quantity discount by buying in 1.75 liters in lieu of 750ml. :geek:
Birdo

Unread postby Squire » Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Fighting Cock based on your scores of the other Heaven Hill whiskys, but by all means try the others as well.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun May 19, 2013 12:23 am

Larceny has rebates currently. If you can find the ones in the stores with the little tags elastic banded around the neck, they have a $10 rebate on the 750 and a $20 rebate on the 1.75. at that rate, theyre as cheap as the basic HH BIB's. Load up, the rebate is good till august, I believe.

ive had larceny and like it. ive had JBB black and thought it was bland and "watery" like i think of Maker's. Ive got Fighting Cock on my list to try, as I like higher proofs. Ive not tried the 4R yellow, but have had the barrel proof and thought it pretty good. Like you, Im kinda new to it and dont get all the adjectives these guys on here use to describe bourbons (Grassy? who's eaten grass lately and can pick it out in alcohol?!), but fruity did come to mind on that one. then again, 4R barrel proofers are $55 here, and at that price, im gonna get a Bookers and a cheap lunch instead.
393foureyedfox

Return to Bourbon, Straight