HH differences?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: HH differences?

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

Birdo wrote:
I typically only drink higher proof bourbons like you. Usually on the rocks, but sometimes old fashioned.

Beams Knob Creek stuff is my top of the line pour. Didn't like Bookers well enough to pay that much.

your tastes sound a lot like mine. I found a steal on KC 120 the other day for $18 a bottle and cleared the shelf of it, guess they were closing it out. thats my favorite for what i am willing to pay ($40 max). I do love bookers and even bakers, but im not paying those prices, even if theyre only $10 more than my max.....gotta draw the line somewhere.

I think the EW BIB is slightly better than the HH BIB white, even though its probably a few years younger. the difference is small though, and i might even mistake them in a blind test.

I have been wanting to try Fighting cock for a while, but every time i reach to grab one off the shelf, i assume its pretty much the same as HH BIB white, and pass on it. is it worth getting / is it much different than the HH BIB white? theyre both 6 years and 100 vs 103 proof....
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Fighting Cock is smoother and creamier than HH White, you sound like a HH guy and should try some as it's only $16 a bottle. I think its right in there with the likes of Wild Turkey and Knob Creek.

Sounds liike you are set with Knob Creek for a few months though.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:21 pm

i dont know if id say i was HH guy.....I like what you get for your money with HH, but, I much prefer the upper level Beam stuff (Bakers, KC 120, and Bookers...) so maybe youd say i was a Beam guy. But, I dont like anything with "beam" written on it.

Ive only tried the Rare Breed of WT. not bad, but ive never bought anymore of it either.

My last buy was some 4R single barrel, and, as much as i wanted to like it, it just didnt do it for me. Im gonna trade it to a friend, maybe for some fighting cock, i dont know....

I'm set for far longer than a few months with the KC stash. I have 6.5 bottles of it since the stockpile. I know the HH rep comes in on tuesdays, so im gonna see if he restocks it or not. if so, i may have 12.5 bottles tomorrow! I like to finish off with KC...not drink it exclusively. Lately, Ive enjoyed VOB BIB, then have a sip of KC 120 for my final sip.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:42 pm

one of my local stores that i was just in today had a clearance rack at the end of the aisle for half-price stuff they were clearing out and plan to no longer carry. On it was several HH 90 proof 6 year green label 1.75's, and they were $9.47 each. even though its not my favorite, i grabbed one....mainly for company coming over. plus, HH has a rebate on all of their HH named 1.75's right now.....$2 on one and $5 on two. I thought about getting two, but it would take forever to go through two of them.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Edward Ronald » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:59 pm

Different persona have different experiences for bourbons. I greatly appreciates the effort of "EllenJ" who describe to bourbons nicely. I gained much knowledge from this post which is helpful.
Edward Ronald

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 am

yip, EllenJ gave me a lot of info a few months ago when I was completely new to bourbon. kinda laid a groundwork for me to go by. either no one else knew it, or he was the only one who took the time to write all that out for me...
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 am

EllenJ wrote:Heaven Hill seems to get a lot of undeserved bad press, especially from published critics and "bourbon snobs". IMnotsoHO, that's an example of the kind of elitism that has no place on BourbonEnthusiast; there are other venues for that sort of attitude.

Here Here!! Thank the bourbon gods for HH and their attractively priced brands!

My only complaint is that they don't offer any of their HH/EW Bonded variations here in AZ. We get EWB, EW:SB, and what I think is the very bottom of the shelf version of HH (white label, green letters, 80 proof).

And I can't believe the OGD 114 came in last in FourEye's tasting! One of my favs, and I don't seem to be alone in that regard (for once). Oh well, more for us!! (Though I do agree that Knob Creek and KC 120 are major favorites of mine... so even weirder that we'd place OGD 114 in opposite ends of the list)
JPBoston

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 am

KC 120 has become my favorite, for what im willing to pay ($40 max).

i also learned that OGD114 is pretty good stuff if allowed to breathe a bit first.
393foureyedfox

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight