In honor of Birdo - Fighting Cock.

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

In honor of Birdo - Fighting Cock.

Unread postby Mike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:28 pm

In moving from Conyers to Savannah I had a chance to pack up all my bourbons and am now visiting a few that I have not sampled in at least a while. One of these is Fighting Cock, a longtime favorite of our friend Birdo. In the past I well remember looking upon it with favor.

Lemme see now, lots of corn, oak, vanilla, rye, and caramel/maple aromas. Fighting Cock struts its bourboness right at you and dares you not to sample it. Yep, it is Heaven Hill bourbon with its thick corny sweetness, and even taste a little buttery, a mite like popcorn. It has that rye edge so characteristic of American whiskey. I find it similiar to Old Grand Dad, with the OGD being (could you believe it) a tad softer, with a more rounded sweetness.

Very good bourbon at a decent price. Hats off to Birdo, the man for whom Fighting Cock is made!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: In honor of Birdo - Fighting Cock.

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm not sure whether I got some of the last of it, or if it's only offered in Tennessee, but about 14 years ago we found some 8-year-old fighting cock in a liquor store there (and none of the 6-year-old). It has a kind of peach 'n cream colored paper label, not the see-through plastic that the 6-year-old has, but it still says Bardstown so I'm guessing it is/was Heaven Hill whiskey (unless FC was made by another, now defunct, Bardstown distillery). Anyway, it's everything the current version is, but better; lot's better.
It is also hands-down the spiciest bourbon I've ever tasted.
And I mean that in a very good way.
Attachments
Fighting Cock 8 YR .jpg
Fighting Cock 8 YR .jpg (87.72 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Birdo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am

Just finished off the WT101, Larceny and the Makers (not all at once). So I stocked up with fighting cock and Knob Creek, so I'm back to my roots.

I'm also in the market for a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof, but its been hard to find. It will me my most expensive bottle of bourbon yet, as I have not ventured north of $30/750ml.

Here's a refresher on my Fighting Cock bourbon story. I was in college 30 years ago and used to buy 1/2 pints of fighting cock to sneak into football games at KSU. I only did that two or three times with the FC, but I remember it well. It had the white label, was high proof, and reasonably priced. Beer was then my drink of choice for many years, but I got sick of the bloat, and other side effects. Went to rum and coke for a couple of years.

Then, three years ago, I moved to Louisville KY and took an interest in "Kentucky's Finest" aka bourbon. I was coming off lean times in 2010, and liked to make every dollar count. I found Fighting Cock to be the best bourbon in my price range. Since then, I tried others but I still like the FC, could be I just developed a taste for it. Turns out, I like most stuff from Heaven Hill. I got the cash to buy more expensive stuff, and I do, but FC still works for me. There is probably a sentimental attachment to the brand due to the college experience. Could be the cheesy label and tongue in cheek silly name are an appeal factor as well.

Even tho I'm a process engineer, and attempt to view bourbon as an engineered chemical product, I am susceptible to marketing influences.
Last edited by Birdo on Wed May 01, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birdo

Unread postby gauze » Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 am

Mike stealing my act! I finished my FC bottle the other night I will be buying another it is my favorite HH cheap rye bourbon for sure. I quite like the old fitz and larceny wheaters they are neck and neck with FC anyway.
gauze

Unread postby Birdo » Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 am

Good post Gauze. I'll be in the market for another bottle of Larceny before long, it's got a lot in common with the Fighting Cock, only smoother.

I have not tried Old FItz yet as there are just too many bourbons on the market; however, the $20 rebate on the Larceny was enough to get me to try it, and I'm glad I did. I found Larceny priced nice in the 1.75 liter bottles, only $38 here. But the 750ml are a bit pricey at $24.
Birdo

Return to Bourbon, Straight