Being new to bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Being new to bourbon

Unread postby Bourbonlady » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:49 am

Hi, I'm fairly new to bourbon sipping and I've been reading posts on BE for a long while and I just wanted some input. I'm looking to broaden my horizons and this seems like a great place to do it. From all the bourbons I have tried so far, I can say that I've liked all so far. I was recommended by coworker to try Bulleit 10 year the other day (thoughts?). I picked up some Four Roses today, and have so far enjoyed it. I've found that I tend toward wheated bourbons (Old Weller and W.L. Weller changed the game for me). I guess I wanted some input on what to try next. I also wanted to know if there are any ways that I could "train" myself to pick up on taste subtleties better? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Thanks! :)
Bourbonlady

Re: Being new to bourbon

Unread postby GBrough » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey i am also somewhat new and i have asked a lot of dumb questions on my quest for stuff i might enjoy. Wheaters aren't my standard fare but from what i have heard there are some amazing Wheater options.

Larceny is cheap and good. bernheim is another one i have heard a lot about, another would be Maker's Mark of course ( I find MM to be bland but thats because i prefer for pizzazz in my drinks) and Maker's 46.

That's what i know and have heard good things about, i actually tried Maker's Mark so i know that one and i tried and loved stock bulliet and it might remind you of Four Roses Small Batch just a tab bit less refined on the edges it is an opinion so take it worth a grain of salt.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GympsyMan » Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

To me there are few bourbons that stand out and are unique enough to recommend. Four roses sb is great as well as the smb. Old forester sig is great and cheap. Weller antique u mentioned is very good. Elijah Craig 12 is very good as well.

I would stay away from all things van winkle for two reasons. First and most importantly, it has been wildly inconsistent and secondly, outrageously expensive. Case in point, saw orvw 10/107 for $100 and lot b for $120! Insane. Three years ago I could get orvw for $30 and lot b for $45.

The ones I recommend are very good and cheap.
GympsyMan

Unread postby GBrough » Thu May 02, 2013 11:15 pm

GympsyMan wrote:To me there are few bourbons that stand out and are unique enough to recommend. Four roses sb is great as well as the smb. Old forester sig is great and cheap. Weller antique u mentioned is very good. Elijah Craig 12 is very good as well.

I would stay away from all things van winkle for two reasons. First and most importantly, it has been wildly inconsistent and secondly, outrageously expensive. Case in point, saw orvw 10/107 for $100 and lot b for $120! Insane. Three years ago I could get orvw for $30 and lot b for $45.

The ones I recommend are very good and cheap.

I forgot all about my budget bourbon Elijah Craig 12 year, i have never had old forester do you recommend it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Bob Barker » Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 am

I would second old bernheim due to the amount of friends I have that love it. I love wheat bourbons but I don't care for bernheim but everyone else seems to love it so I know I'm the abnormality :) another good one to go with would be Evan Williams single barrel if u liked the four roses small batch. Both are more delicate but have great flavors. Don't forget standard bourbons like buffalo trace, 1792 and wild turkey 101 as excellent standard expressions to try along the way.

As for your question about picking up subtleties. The best advice I can offer is always pay attention to what u eat and the flavors and smells. This also applies to the whiskey in that always give it a good nosing and think about what u are smelling. When u taste whiskey it often helps to do 2 or 3 at the same time so that u can pick out different nuisances in each whiskey or aromas that are similar. This should help to start narrowing down things that u notice over and over again and u will pick up more and more as u develop as a bourbon enthusiast.

Drink on my friend and always analyze!
Bob Barker

Unread postby GBrough » Fri May 03, 2013 10:55 am

For me it took time, i had to sit for a while to get the subtleties and it is still a work on progress.

Still larceny is a good wheater that is worth a try.
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Fri May 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm also somewhat new to the finer points of the whiskey sippin experience. I do not use the proper glass for nosing (but this will likely change soon). Right now I just enjoy the slow trip through a glass and do not pay that much attention to the aromas or try to discern the different flavors as they pass from the tip of the tongue to the back of the pallet. I do think that each individual will gravitate towards a certain profile that appeals to them and so far mine seems to be similar to that that of the original poster, so:

I concur about the Evan Williams Single Barrel recommendation. If you can find it, Old Weller makes a 12 year old that is a step above those you mentioned. Another good one is Rowan's Creek. For a little more spice, try Woodford Reserve. Going up the price scale a bit, Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit and Rock Hill Farms are both excellent pours. If you want to try something a little bolder, Wild Turkey Rare Breed is one of the best bourbons I have ever tried and a steal at $30-35. To me, these all seem to have a similar profile or taste, and are my personal favorites.

For something with what I will loosely describe as having a more "butterscotch" type character, try Elijah Craig 12YO, Elmer T. Lee or Knob Creek (especially their Single barrel, just be careful - 120 proof).

Four roses Single Barrel is quite excellent and has a distinct character unto its own.

Do not be too quick to judge a whiskey. Sometimes it takes several visits to get to really know them. Keep in mind that single barrel's will likely change from bottle to bottle slightly, unless they are from the same batch.

Cheers,
RG
Last edited by RandyG on Fri May 03, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Everything that is good in life takes time, and i will concur about the Kentucky Spirit it is a nice pour and very much something special. Sadly i have not had rare breed or rowan's creek been meaning to but at the moment i dont want to much bourbon stored away until i am on my own.
GBrough

Unread postby bunghole » Sat May 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Excellent first post there, Bourbonlady. Welcome to BE. I'm not here very often anymore, so let me reccomend this quartet.

1) Knob Creek - 9 years old & 100 proof

2) Evan Williams Single Barrel - 10 years old & 86.6 proof

3) Eagle Rare Single Barrel - 10 years old & 90 proof

4) Larceny - a marriage of 4+ year old barrels to give a good solid 6 year old flavor profile overall & 92 proof. Larceny is a wheated recipe bourbon or 'a wheater'. I like it quite a bit.

There's a lot of flavor profile differences here between these four. You could add in Four Roses Small Batch if you'd like to have five, but those four are plenty to educate your palette. These are all very well crafted and excellent tasting bourbons, but they all have very distinct flavor differences you can teach yourself to pick up on by compairison tasting.

Forget the fact that two are single barrels. Just think of them as 'micro-batch' as a single barrel is the smallest batch you can have! :lol:

Zero in on and isolate the most common bourbon aromas and flavors. Yes you must be able to do both. Things like vanilla; char, oak, and caramel. Read some of my old tasting notes for example, and see if you taste and nose some of the same things.

You will need 4 identical glasses. There is no subtitute for good glassware. Glencairn are the most common. They are good nosers; affordable, and easy to come by.

I hope this helps you get off to a good start. Enjoy your pursuit of bourbon knowledge.

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
Last edited by bunghole on Sun May 05, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby GBrough » Sun May 05, 2013 3:40 am

I would put Four Roses Single Barrel up there instead of small batch, if you want a simple affordable whiskey there is fighting cock bourbon and WT101.
GBrough

Unread postby bunghole » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

I would just add that Maker's Mark would make a good substitute for Larceny if you can't get that.

Also if you want simular representitives from all the distillers, add in:

5) Four Roses Small Batch

6) Wild Turkey "Russell's Reserve"

7) Woodford Reserve as the best everyday bourbon from Brown-Forman. I don't know what they've done to Old Forester, but I find it has become undrinkable swill.

8) Ridgemont Reserve 1792 - the best that Barton has to offer is an excellent match up for this tasting flight.

All of these bottlings are very close in price: $25-35.

There you go. Let the training begin! :drunken:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Wasatch » Sun May 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Lot's of nice stuff out there. Here are some of my favs:

Knob Creek
Bookers
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Eagle Rare Single Barrell
Elijah Craig 12
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve
Basil Hayden's
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby GBrough » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I have not had rare breed or bookers yet but i have heard amazing things about them. How about bakers it may be a bit more expensive then it should be but i have heard a lot about it as well.
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 am

As I often do, I will say the 4 Roses Small Batch is even better than the excellent Single Barrel. I am a huge fan of Rare Breed and Weller 12. Old Granddad 114 is another very good choice.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Return to Bourbon, Straight