Whats this about blending bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Whats this about blending bourbon

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 pm

So i have noticed in my limited time being here that some people seem to fancy bourbons that they blended by hand, can someone explain the process to me and why it is done in the first place.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Whats this about blending bourbon

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Sure. Some of us here combine bourbons, or bourbons and rye whiskey, to get a preferred palate. In former years and still to a degree, American distillers and non-distilling wholesale merchants often did this. The law itself defines bourbon as including a mixture of bourbons from one State, for example. (So e.g. if someone wanted to and had the right to sell Jim Beam-sourced bourbon and Wild Turkey-sourced bourbon as one mixture, they could and it is still straight bourbon as defined by law).

So some do it at home too. Scotch whisky famously can be blended, e.g. some are comprised of two or three grain whiskies and 10-20 single malts. It is to get a more complex, pleasing taste, like cooking sort of. So same idea with American whiskey but it isn't even copying the British since American liquor producers have always done the same thing to a certain degree (more so in earlier years but the practice has come back in recent times). Very simple really. So e.g. if you have a high proof bourbon that might be a little rough and an 80 proofer that might be a little bland, combining them may be the best of both. Give it a try.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Hmm interesting, i got a great macallan directors edition, most of the bourbons i have on hand are 90+ proofers know any good 80 proofers that are not to expensive on hand i got a Kentucky Spirit that is a bit rough around the edge at times, elijiah craig 12 year, and four roses small batch.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Well, say if you bought Jim Beam Black Label or even White, which are 86 and 80 proof respectively.

You could do 50% Beam White and 50% Kentucky Spirit. Or mix and match in a different way with one or more of the others you mentioned. This is just a suggestion, there are many ways of doing it. Usually I wouldn't blend two strong-tasting bourbons, they might clash. But it often makes sense to combine a strong (in flavor or proof) one with a weaker or blander one. Your own taste should dictate how to do it. It produces new flavors without more $$. If you do it in the glass, you don't waste much if it doesn't work and at worst mix the result with Coke or Sprite for a great mixed drink.

By the way, one of your 90 + proof bourbons can become 80 just by adding enough water to reduce the alcohol by 5% or as applicable. There are various formulas available online you can find with an easy search for how to do it exactly but rarely is perfect accuracy needed IMO.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Gary Gillman is a master at this game of mixing bourbons, or indeed spirits of any kind. He has skills and a palate beyond most of us on BE, certainly beyond mine.

My approach to 'vatting' (blending, as opposed to vatting, usually implies adding neutral (or marginally aged) spirits to whiskey), is to 'aim' at what I have come to know as tastes my own peculiar palate prefers.

A bit over 8 years ago when I first joined BourbonEnthusiast I was on the hunt for the 'best' bourbon and, although I had some acquaintance with bourbon (more with Scotch), I was foolishly intent on finding and drinking the one that was above the others. I was warned by the 'old hands' that it was a foolish pursuit.

As I tried more and more bourbons over the years, I eventually learned what the 'old hands' knew all along.......... there are many different bourbons and as a practical matter there is no 'best'. But, my pursuit did help me discover which of the many attributes of bourbon I liked (all of them) and a bit about how to emphasize that aspect by vatting.

If you want rich and creamy bourbons (these are my opinions, with which others may disagree), go to the barrel proof bourbons........but they are often too high in proof to enjoy (except in very small sips, and you should always sample a barrel proof undiluted first) straight from the bottle. One way to cut the proof is to simply add the appropriate amount of water............ another is to add a lower proof bourbon to soften, and possibly add a certain slightly more delicate sweetness (as I often do with Evan Williams Single Barrel, to the 'target' bourbon.

If you want spice and a softer bourbon add some Bulleit, or Wild Turkey or Four Roses (or better yet, a straight Rye Whiskey) along with the EWSB. Still, make the barrel proof bourbon the 'anchor' bourbon.

The 'anchor' bourbon (my terminology, my opinion) is the one with the overall primary flavor component you seek. As noted above if you prefer the rich and creamy flavors from a barrel proof, use it as the 'anchor'.

If it is delicacy and soft sweetness, EWSB, or Maker's Mark, or a Canadian whiskey, are good candidates (or even Irish Whiskey). If you want to soften, or 'round' the sweetness, then a malt whiskey (American malt whiskies are very good these days, as well as the 'round' sweetness of Irish Whiskey and even some Scotch Whiskies) is a good choice.

If it should happen that after you have been introduced to bourbons with a bit more tannins (the best choice here, in my opinion, in terms of being cost effective is Noah's Mill, priced in the mid to high $40s), then make that your 'anchor' bourbon. I prefer the influence of some tannins in my vattings and get them from Noah's Mill, Van Winkle bourbons, or some of the Brown Foreman Birthday Bourbons (which also adds a smidge of the acrid notes of the copper pot still). A bourbon with high tannin value, even as the 'anchor' bourbon will likely never be more that 20 or 25% of the total volume of the vatted bourbon........... tannins are potent in their effect and it seems that most folks perfer to avoid them.......... for me, they can be (in proper proportions) resposible for carrying other flavors completely across the palate......... but I may be a majority of one here..... no one else has ever posted in their favor on BE, at least in my memory. Usually they are to be avoided like the plague (and tannins can make bourbon or other whiskies bitter) in most whiskey drinker's opinions.

Allow me to reiterate that because some bourbon (or other spirit) is not at first to your taste, DO NOT push it aside from later consideration. Finding your own palate preferences is not a one shot deal, else we would all be drinking Maker's Mark, just as most of us (in the aggregrate) will drink Miller or Bud Light beer. This is not, as it might seem, a knock on Maker's Mark, which is an excellent bourbon (I intend to post a review of Maker's Mark today), but not the end point of bourbon, for so many reasons.

Drinking bourbon has all the risks and rewards that we all face in life......... it can reward (as can love, work, and realtionships) and punish (as can love, work, and relationships), all in ways that we often have little ability to foresee. If we bring bourbon into our lives, he/she should never be as a 'friend', but as a potentially dangerous, but entertaing and enjoyable companion........ held ever at arm's length.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

I need to balance out elmer t lee it has a very harsh burn that i dont find on my elijiah craig 12 year
GBrough

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Mike, thanks for your kind comments and your own very valuable contributions to vatting (as indeed it is properly called).

ETL can be harsh. (Actually, almost any bottle of bourbon can. Each bottle differs, often in subtle ways, but little things can mean a lot to the bourbon enthusiast).

Yet, locked into that rough exterior is some good rich flavor. To unleash it, I'd mingle the ETL with a smooth bland bourbon, even one a little oily, which will give added body and tamp down that spiky quality in the ETL. I don't see Elijah Craig 12 working for this, but probably Beam Black would, say 1:1. Maybe Four Roses Yellow Label (80 proof, about $20) would work well too. Even a price brand, say Heaven Hill bourbon (i.e., bearing that specific brand name) might work.

Or three bourbons of the type mentioned. Just a little practice is needed and you start to get the hang of it.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for the advice i will try beam black to balance out the rough edges of ETL.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 am

I was just saying the Elijiah Craig is nearing the daily pour status for me, i dont drink much but i enjoy it a lot really want to find some bourbons with the same robust flavours yet it is still tame enough for me to enjoy.
GBrough

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 am

I stumbled across blending with nice results a couple of weeks ago. I had a Wild Turkey on the rocks that was half enjoyed. I then topped off the glass with Makers Mark and found that the 50/50 mix of WT101 and MM was quite nice, may be better than either individually, but I can't say that with certainty, but it was good. I'm mid-shelf guy, and don't normally go north of $25-30/750ml.

I suggest a wheated bourbon to soften your Elmer T Lee, but be advised, I'm no expert, just a guy having fun try different bourbons. Lke the other guy said, Beam Black might be a nice choice also for blending. Beam Black has nice qualities without being over powering.
Birdo

Unread postby gillmang » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:29 am

Good point on the wheated to soften the ETL (which itself can be soft and rich but again every bottle will differ and I've had ones like you describe, Buffalo Trace too for that matter).

The Beam Black has a good body that would "absorb" the harshness of the ETL but not clash I think with its profile, which is fairly low-rye (at least to me. Beam Black as all Beam bourbon has a fairly high rye hit).

But you can go the other way and "dilute" the flavour (not the strength) of the ETL by adding a wheater or a low-rye bourbon.

To come up with a taste like EC 12 has, older bourbons would be needed, perhaps Knob Creek albeit 9 years old and the Beam Black again, hard to say. Usually I find by using only one ounce of each bourbon you can get a good result by adjusting the proportions, say start 50/50 then add a bit more of one or the other, or add a third. Once you are familiar with the tastes on their own, the building blocks, you can usually fashion a very good third palate by combining. It's like cooking again, or seasoning.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Well im going to let the bottle of ETL sit open for a little while to aerate, friday i will get some jim beam black if the aeration doesnt do enough to balance it out.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

It aerating really tamed this beast and gave it some civility, now i get butterscotch and everything i could only get traces of if i was lucky. Still going to try it with jim beam black to see if that does anything more to balance it out.
GBrough

Unread postby gauze » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 pm

good thread, congrats gents.
gauze

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Very informative, and helpful
GBrough

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight