Is Evan Williams Really all that

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Is Evan Williams Really all that

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 am

So i have heard a lot about evan williams recently, but i can decide on whether it is worth my time, the single barrel on bevmo is described as having a lead pencil smell and for me that is hard to get past in my head, but really is it as good as wathens or buffalo trace i was brought up with the idea that higher the cost usually the better the quality and i prefer quality over quantity. So give me your views on it if you feel like it.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: Is Evan Williams Really all that

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am

sorry about the double post didnt notice
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

I had a bottle about a year ago, and was less than thrilled for the price. Heaven Hill's competing products like Elijah Craig 12, Fighting Cock, and the new Larceny are all just as satisfying, if not better. From other distillers, I opt for Knob Creek or Four Roses Single Barrel over Evan Williams Single Barrel.

EWSB is a lighter more delicae take on bourbon than I care for, I want a more in your face bold taste. Could be the proof, EWSB is 86 proof, and I like 90+ typically.

But, I think you should try a bottle if you are interested, the price of admission is $25/750ml here, and it is worth a try. I find it equal to Buffalo Trace, and can't comment on Wathens as I have not had it.
Birdo

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Yea for me I just dont see the good of it when i can get elijah craig 12 year for around the same price.
GBrough

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 am

Evan Williams Single Barrel is always a worthy purchase!

I always buy a bottle each and every year. It's a new tasting adventure each time!

And this is the time of year when the new 2003 'vintage' bottling should be showing up. Soon! Very Soon! :bounce: It's just so exciting! :bounce:

Only a complete and utter moron would pass this by.

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 am

bunghole wrote:Evan Williams Single Barrel is always a worthy purchase!

I always buy a bottle each and every year. It's a new tasting adventure each time!

And this is the time of year when the new 2003 'vintage' bottling should be showing up. Soon! Very Soon! :bounce: It's just so exciting! :bounce:

You are an enabler and I love your enthusiasm. I am spring for a 2003 just so I can BS about it with you. It is sure to be a solid pour. It's only $25 for fun and adventure.
Birdo

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

alright, i will look at my local store maybe i can find it, if you say it is really worth the pour then i will give it a shot.
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:20 pm

bunghole wrote:Evan Williams Single Barrel is always a worthy purchase!

I am with Mr. hole (bung, that is) on this. EWSB is something I go to often and always buy the new releases. It is a soft and almost delicate whiskey to me, and although I do not want it every day, it is very reliably excellent. Plus, when I find a barrel proofer that needs a bit of softening, EWSB is my guy to turn the trick.

Besides in addition to which, what with Mr. hole (bung that is) being a saint and all, his opinion is faultless.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Mike wrote:Besides in addition to which, what with Mr. hole (bung that is) being a saint and all, his opinion is faultless.

Ha!

:lol: HAHAHAHAHA :lol:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby RandyG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 pm

I hold Evan Williams Single Barrel in the highest regard. I might be in the minority here, but I actually prefer it to Elijah Craig 12YO, which I like a lot, but leans a little farther too the sweet side. Both excellent pours though, especially for the price. If you see a 2001 still on the shelf, pick it up. I think these were among the better ones I have had the privelage to enjoy. If someone wants to try bourbon for the first time, this is the one I give them. Very, very easy to drink.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Elijiah Craig 12 year for me is turning into a favorite for the cost i have never had a better bourbon yet, besides my KS and Macallan Directors but that goes without saying. If i find Evan williams single vintage 2003 i will try it.
GBrough

Unread postby Bob Barker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:52 pm

I see many people comparing it to Elijah Craig which is similar in price but worlds different in structure. That said I prefer pre 2011 Elijah Craig to most vintages of ewsb but I honestly find the quality of recent releases of the Elijah Craig I just don't find that special. This is most likely do to the Elijah Craig post 2011 being produced at a different location bc of a fire at the old distillery where Elijah Craig was made. I have found the 2002 to be one of the best vintages I have tasted.
Bob Barker

Unread postby Wasatch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Evan Williams is nice.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm

I never had 2011 vintage EC12, only a 2013 one and it is nice so i can imagine that one was better. I will be trying rowans creek or four roses single barrel depending on what they have four roses single sells out fast.
GBrough

Return to Bourbon, Straight