My family has offered to get me a bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

My family has offered to get me a bourbon

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Hey guys my family has offered to get my a bourbon for my birthday and i have narrowed it down to Bookers or Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

What is your opinion of each one, and which one do you prefer i just had my first single barrel bourbon two days ago it was blantons and while i enjoyed it the spice out balanced the fruit but its drinkability was fantastic.

If you want bring in other single barrel bourbons you recommend in the 40-50 dollar price range.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Re: My family has offered to get me a bourbon

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Of the two, I've only had Booker's... and enjoyed it quite a bit. Tastes similar to KC, as a point of reference.
JPBoston

Unread postby Mike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Kentucky Spirit will have more spice than Blantons, but it is a great bourbon. Booker's is also a great bourbon, but since you don't care so much for spice, I would recommend Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, even though it is not technically bourbon, but Tennessee Whiskey.

It has some nice sweetness, some fruit, some delicacy, and a mite of spice for balance. As I recall, it sells in the $45 range.

Read the reviews on JDSB. It is first rate whiskey, in my opinion.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks, i like spice but my palate is still developing my first bourbon was bulliet and it shocked me since i was so used to jack and coke. I will be getting bookers i think mostly because i have heard great things about it and got to try a little of it the other day. I will make sure to try Jack Daniels single barrel in a few weeks,
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I'd get the Kentucky Spirit, but that's me, and everybody's tastes are unique. Another $40-50 bourbon to consider is Rock Hill Farms. These two and that Blanton's are my three favorite bourbons in this price range. I'm also quite fond of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Rowan's Creek, both in the $35-40 range.

Cheers,
Mr. G
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:41 pm

While i liked blantons i would not buy it, i am going to try rockhill farms this weekend at a party. I find it hard to trust jack after going to a few parties, those said parties are what made me stop doing shots of any form of alcohol. This will be jacks final moment for me before i decide to ban it from my meetups.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm

I need to really see the pros and cons of JD single barrel or the holiday select over say bookers bourbon besides the prices, is the quality of it really better than JD No.7
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm

GBrough wrote:I need to really see the pros and cons of JD single barrel or the holiday select over say bookers bourbon besides the prices, is the quality of it really better than JD No.7

The pros and cons of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel are not visible, but gustatory. I am not normally a fan of Jack Daniel's whiskies, although I have found some of their special releases to be praiseworthy. Even so, all Jack Daniel's whiskies are quite drinkable. The Single Barrel is a bit higher proof than the other releases, and, because of its measured sweetness, moderated spice, and soft delicacy, I find it to be a great Amercan whiskey.

If you are going to ENJOY bourbon, sip bourbon, do not blast it down. Think of it as a potent delicacy, one that must be respected, and, for the sake of finding your particular (and peculiar) taste preferences, explored.
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 pm

I hope to get a bottle of it this weekend, i am still getting a bottle of bookers from family, but i am going to make the investment and give JD a chance one more time.
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

GBrough wrote:I hope to get a bottle of it this weekend, i am still getting a bottle of bookers from family, but i am going to make the investment and give JD a chance one more time.

My suggestion is not that you give JD a chance, but JDSB a chance........ it is, in my experience, qualitatively different from all the other JD whiskies........ as it should be, it is, after all specially selected and a bit higher proof.

Take it as a given that your palate has at least three zones......... the sweet is upfront, the spice will take hold at midpalate, and the finish, if it is a good one, will leave remnants of both the sweetness and the spice and some of the tannins and the char.

You must give your palate time to notice these taste zones, else you are drinking for the effects of the alcohol, not the taste........... which is what you (or your friends) have done in the past............ BAD!.......... unless that is your aim, in which case, this site is probably not for you.
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm

That is not my goal, i dont drink for the rush of booze, after getting so drunk i couldnt walk i want to avoid that at all cost i really want to learn to enjoy the whiskey/bourbon for its flavour and not for the affect.

Well it is a toss up for me between JDSB or Angels Envy
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Bevmo has both the JDSB and the JD holiday select, which one would you get seeing there is a 5 buck difference or so.
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 pm

In this case, I would recommend JDSB, because it is first rate whiskey (not just my opinion) and because it is not a special release......... do not rely too much on other's opinions, except as a guide, and when several experienced drinkers recommend the whiskey.

For a novice bourbon drinker, I think the best approach is to start out drinking the well known very good (and reasonable) bourbons (Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Single Barrel, any of the Barton's brand, etc. etc.) and if need be, go from there............. I do not think it is too wise to start toward the top of the bourbon chain.

On BourbonEnthusiast there are several 'enthusiasts' who, for reasons of their own, never spend much more than $20 for a bottle of bourbon. They find what they want and enjoy their whiskey within that price range, and, they are experienced bourbon drinkers.

The difference betwixt the $150 (and up) bourbons and a $10 bottle of Ezra Brooks (a respectable bottle of bourbon) is a matter of degree, and of palate, not so much of price.

I, personally, find price to be a rough guide to quality, but like anyone with any sense, there is a point beyond which price adds no value. I would put that price point, for now, at about $80, which includes (my opinion) the better barrel proof bourbons (e.g. E H Taylor, William Larue Weller, Four Roses, Parker's Heritage (may be over $80, but are worth it) and others when they are released (George T Stagg)).
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Only reason i am getting Bookers is because my family is offering it to me
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Booker's is excellent whiskey.......... add a bit of water or its high proof will overwhelm your taster.....
Mike

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight