"Too much" breathing time

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

"Too much" breathing time

Unread postby Mynewaddiction » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Silly question perhaps....

So my wife, who is often impatient when I insist that she allow 15 minutes for her "good" bourbon to sit before drinking, jokingly asked if we could pour our glasses at lunch time so they would be ready when we came home later this evening.

We plan on pouring some nicer bottles tonight (Parkers Heritage, Pappy) and I was wondering people's thoughts or experiences. Is it not a good idea to let bourbon sit out for several hours before drinking? Kind of new here, and just beginning to enjoy these finer things.

Thanks much! :)
Mynewaddiction

Re: "Too much" breathing time

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Yours is not a silly question. I have no personal experience in letting bourbon sit in the glaass for several hours. About the most time I give it is about 20 minutes. Perhaps others have and will report.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Like Joe, I think this is a worthwhile question............. my suggestion is that you try an experiment.......... over several days (this assumes that you are intersested enough in the question to do this). Try the same whiskey at different times in the glass over several days and see if you note any differences. A single day, given all the variables (which includes attitude) is not enough.

Like Joe, I think that beyond 20 minutes or so, we are entering a time period (baring accidents) that is not really useful.............

As I understand it, the 'breathing' period (no more that 20 minutes) for whiskey is to allow the initial intense alcohol vapors to leave the scene so that the complex organic aromas have a chance to develop. It is also important to have a small sip of water prior to sipping whiskey so that the tongue is moist and not so effected by the immediate evaporation of the alcohol in the whiskey...... which can cause its own 'alcohol burn' (which destroys the palate's ability to distinguish subtle flavors..... never gulp whiskey.... always sip).

But, remember that your palate does vary from day to day (in small, but significant, degrees)..... so I suggest that, if you do this experiment, you do so with a very good whiskey, e.g. Knob Creek, Rock Hills Farm, Hancock Reserve, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Evan Williams Single Barrel or their equivalents.

This experiment, if you love and are interested in the flavors of whiskey will be no burden, but will be fun........ if it holds no interest for you.......... drink indescriminately and enjoy as it comes to you.....

No one is your judge either way.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Vital » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Sorry if a bit off subject but let's say I like to have a cube of ice with certain whiskies. Do I throw it in the glass right away and then wait 10 or so mins to let my whiskey breath or do I pour it first, wait certain amount of time and then add ice about a minute before I'm drinking it?
Vital

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 am

Vital wrote:Sorry if a bit off subject but let's say I like to have a cube of ice with certain whiskies. Do I throw it in the glass right away and then wait 10 or so mins to let my whiskey breath or do I pour it first, wait certain amount of time and then add ice about a minute before I'm drinking it?

You could do it either way but, myself, I believe I prefer the latter.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mynewaddiction » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Thanks folks, appreciate your feecback. Im going to have to stage a little experiment one of these days, and use it as an excuse to buy another bottle of 1792. :)
Mynewaddiction

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 am

I let the ice dilute and cool it down a bit before I dive in. I don't bother to give it much time, don't forget, dust particulate will settle in your drinks if they sit out too long, so drink up! You might think I'm a germaphobe, but it is something to consider.

I use an insulated Tervis cup (has a lid) on my ice water that keeps it cold and dust free for hours on end.
Birdo

Unread postby Old Fart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Going to try this tonight. First glass will be ice first (my normal mode), second will be ice after 10 minutes. I don't mind being the research monkey :geek:

Breathing time is generally from the time I pour (basement) to when I get to the back patio (only place The Princess allows cigar smoking) :lol:
Jeff
Old Fart

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

I will try this with four roses small batch and bookers to see if i notice any noticeable changes
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Vital » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Old Fart wrote:Going to try this tonight. First glass will be ice first (my normal mode), second will be ice after 10 minutes. I don't mind being the research monkey :geek:

Breathing time is generally from the time I pour (basement) to when I get to the back patio (only place The Princess allows cigar smoking) :lol:

So? What are results of this highly detailed research? :)
Vital

Unread postby Vital » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Poured myself a glass of J.Walker double black last night before going to sleep. Waited for a few mins to give it breathing time and.... fell asleep haha!
It's past lunch time so about 14 or so hours later I get back home and see it in the glass just as it was last night, I completely forgot about it!!!

So how was it you will ask? LOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!! Extremely smooth, no alcohol smell nor taste, just pure intensified flavor.
Interesting thing to note - slight alcohol burn feeling all around the mouth/tongue is still there but in a very pleasant form, like a light "burn coating" that slowly but without any pauses keeps on "transmitting" flavor into your mouth/tongue for a log time after you are done with your sip. Defiantly very pleasant experience.
Vital

Unread postby gillmang » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 pm

I've noticed this too. You have to get it at the right point, if it goes too far, the drink becomes insipid and the ethanol leaches out. Sounds like you hit it just right.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Hmm interesting worth a try with my WTKS maybe it will improve with a good 6 hour aeration
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby BourbonBalls » Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I tend to use a good rule of thumb that seems to work everytime for me;

Let it sit in the glass one minute for every year its in the barrel. 10 year old bourbon: About 10 minutes in the glass before the first sip.
BourbonBalls

Return to Bourbon, Straight