Royal Carribean has great bourbon

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Royal Carribean has great bourbon

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 am

Our ship had Bookers, Bakers, Baisl Hayden, Knob Creek, Makers, Blantons, and the well had Beam White. So I finally had my chance to try Bookers and Bakers and liked them both fine. Had some Knob Creek too, but that is something I have on a regular basis.

Beer, wine and fufu drinks with rum vodka and tequila were the big sellers, but I stuck with a little bourbon. For $55/day ($385) for the week, you could buy and all you can drink pass, glad I didn't do that as I would probably be dead now. I stuck with two drinks a day.
Birdo

Re: Royal Carribean has great bourbon

Unread postby Vital » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:19 am

HA!!
I had a bottle of Beam Black, MM and Woodford in my bag all inside different large-sized Snapple/juice bottles in my bag LOL
I was "coached" by my coworker who takes cruise ships every single vacation. He told me all about prices on alcohol there and how to bring your own in. Apparently they don't care for Snapple and such and don't actually check liquid inside if you leave in a "check in" bag. Needless to say I didn't spend a dime on alcohol yet me and my wife (and a few people we met there + some random people + whoever was cleaning my room haha) was enjoying it every evening.

But yes, from what I remember we also had a pretty good alcohol selection thru out the ship, just not sure how much exactly they charged for it. Defiantly would love to take a cruise vacation again sometime in near future as I loved every minute of it last year.
Vital

Unread postby JPBoston » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 am

Out of curiosity, Vital, do you recall what the price per pour for say --- the Knob Creek or MM was on that cruise?
JPBoston

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:48 am

Royal Carribean generally get about 8 bucks per pour, on up.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:Royal Carribean generally get about 8 bucks per pour, on up.
Joe

Yea that's about right. I don't drink that much so it didn't add up too fast, plus you get the service and the venue. But booze smuggling is a good way to get primed in the room, especially if you have a balcony room. $7.25 per drink plus 15% mandatory tip.
Birdo

Unread postby Borchard » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 pm

I was on an AA flight on Monday, and I had Beam Back for the first time. I don't know why I hadn't had it before. Holy cow I liked it!
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” Dizzy Dean
Borchard

Unread postby ScurvyDog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm

I use these to sneak liquor onto ships... Beware they ex-ray random bags and if they see a bottle they will confiscate it.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/
ScurvyDog

Unread postby Vital » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 am

JPBoston wrote:Out of curiosity, Vital, do you recall what the price per pour for say --- the Knob Creek or MM was on that cruise?

$8 as others stated seems about right.

But price alone isn't the only factor here. In New York City you will not find anything for less then $8 but 90% of the time there's only enough liquid in your drink to maybe get some nose out of it, not enough to actually enjoy sipping it.
In Poconos, PA on the other hand me and my friends stopped by this restaurant to get some to eat and Knob Creek with 1 rock I order cost me $5 and there was a good quarter of the bottle in that glass. I couldn't believe it, I actually got drunk of (technically) one drink haha. Came back there a few months later and drinks once again were insanely huge for the same price of $5.

So yeah, back to the cruise. Around $8 sounds right but if you are used to decent amount of liquor in your glass - $8 will not make it happen, expect to keep on ordering doubles and paying doubles.
Vital

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 am

Vital wrote:
JPBoston wrote:Out of curiosity, Vital, do you recall what the price per pour for say --- the Knob Creek or MM was on that cruise?

$8 as others stated seems about right.

But price alone isn't the only factor here. In New York City you will not find anything for less then $8 but 90% of the time there's only enough liquid in your drink to maybe get some nose out of it, not enough to actually enjoy sipping it.
In Poconos, PA on the other hand me and my friends stopped by this restaurant to get some to eat and Knob Creek with 1 rock I order cost me $5 and there was a good quarter of the bottle in that glass. I couldn't believe it, I actually got drunk of (technically) one drink haha. Came back there a few months later and drinks once again were insanely huge for the same price of $5.

So yeah, back to the cruise. Around $8 sounds right but if you are used to decent amount of liquor in your glass - $8 will not make it happen, expect to keep on ordering doubles and paying doubles.

I went to the same piano bar on the ship and developed a repoir with a serve that got me good pours and he was well tipped. A fello named "yuri' from the Ukraine.
Birdo

Unread postby Old Fart » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:46 pm

As a card carrying Parrothead, I might have heard of someone who knew someone who lived down the street form a dude that smuggled hooch onto Carnival - but only once :)

Amazing how much Gentleman Jack looks like Listerine......

On the "mandatory 15% tip" - can't speak to the other cruise lines, but on Carnival a trip to the Purser will remove that from your Sign and Sail account. Once the bartenders realize that YOU'RE controlling the tip, they tend to be a wee bit more generous.
Jeff
Old Fart

Unread postby Squire » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 pm

A tip before you get started is also useful.
Squire

Unread postby Bob Barker » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 am

Anyone know how the selection on carnival cruise ships has been like?
Bob Barker

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 am

Bob Barker wrote:Anyone know how the selection on carnival cruise ships has been like?

Pitiful.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bob Barker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks for the response joe I just wish it would have been happier news :/. Guess I may have to use some of the tricks described above to attempt to get some quality whiskey onboard if they aren't going to have anything worthwhile.
Bob Barker

Unread postby EllenJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm

The Goddess-n-me took a Crown Princess Caribbean cruise this winter, sailing out of Galveston.
Now if you were a Jamaican visting Kentucky, would you be looking for rum? Of course not.
(Well, all right, Scotsmen visiting Kentucky look for Scotch, but they're weird that way) :wink:
When cruising the Caribbean RUM is what you want, EXCEPT...
The ship's rum selection was even worse than its bourbon selection!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight