Best of 2012

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Best of 2012

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Well this last year has been an interesting one. First, I came up empty handed after the Spring Van Winkle release. Saved my money for the Fall releases of both Pappy and BTAC and again, nada. To say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement.

Rather than let it get me down, I decided to use my savings and try something different this year. A friend and neighbor of mine (also a bourbon spoof) noticed thet a liquor store not far from here had several bottles of Jefferson Presidential 18 year old. I had heard that some of the 18's were better than the others so I passed. Well my friend didn't and it turns out these were some of the really, REALLY good ones. A little spendy but I said why not and asked him to pick me up a couple bottles the next time he was over there. This was arguably the best bourbon I have ever had, possibly surpassing my beloved Pappy 15YO.

Next was the 2012 Four Roses Small Batch Ltd. Edition. I had heard nothing but great things about this one so I asked my local liquor store manager to see if any were still out there. Nope. But wait, my buddy asks me if I want to go to the cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul for those non-MN's out there) with him as he had found a couple. What the heck, road trip. Well we get there and the store had a case. A little deliberation and we decided to split it since they would knock 10% of a whole case. Again, this was a little outside my comfort zone price wise, and I had not tried it before buying it (3 bottles of it even). Well, it turns out it was a good, scratch that, great idea. Exceptional bourbon, no doubt. Best I ever had? No, but easily in the top five.

OK I'm thinkin, so I didn't get any Pappy this year, so what. In fact I'm not even bummed out any more. Then came the knock out punch. My neighbor comes home from a tasting seminar at one of the larger liquor stores up in the cities and what does he have with him. A 2012 BTAC Stagg. He asked me if I wanted it but since he had won it in a raffle I thought he should have it. He then says open it up. OH MY GOD! I have only spent one evening with this one, but I do believe that this one surpasses both my beloved Pappy AND the Jefferson. Realizing I will not be lucky enough to aquire one of these gems myself, well, it bums me out :)

RG
RandyG

Re: Best of 2012

Unread postby Bootlegger1929 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Very cool!

I can only hope to land some of those. Just bought my first RHF today though and I'm quite enjoying it! Also got the last pour of a bottle of 2011 William LaRue Weller Atique on Sunday that was phenomenal. I know not quite 2012 but its what I got for now being a bourbon newbie.
Bootlegger1929

Unread postby Squire » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Glad you're enjoying the Rock Hill, it's long been one of my favorites.
Squire

Unread postby Borchard » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 am

Maybe you guys can help me out with a dilemna I have...
5 yrs a go I bought the ONLY bottle of PVW 20yr Family Reserve I could find. And I paid $75 for it. Now, it seems it's even HARDER to find, and I've seen the same bottle going for $495 online!?!
So, my dilemna is, I bought a bottle of Jefferson Presidential Select 18yr, with the stickers on it that say it was aged in Stitzl-Weller barrels blah, blah,blah... I paid $95 for it. I can't decide if i should open it, or just keep it in a cool, dark place for 5yrs and pop out on the interwebs and see what people are willing to pay for it?
Any thoughts?
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” Dizzy Dean
Borchard

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Borchard wrote: I can't decide if i should open it, or just keep it in a cool, dark place for 5yrs and pop out on the interwebs and see what people are willing to pay for it?
Any thoughts?

As always, the decision is yours. The 18 year won't bring as much as the early bottlings of the 17 year.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Bootlegger1929 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Or u could drink it and enjoy. Why profit off of someone else's hard work when u can enjoy the fruits of their labor by sharing a great pour with friends? Just MHO.
Bootlegger1929

Unread postby peterh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 am

There's an ocean of the 18yo Jefferson 'Presidential' out there, easy to find for $70 per. Might be the right play, to put 10 cases away and see what happens. But really hard to catch that collectible 'lightning in a bottle'. Pappy was always great Bourbon, not sure what turned it into this insane collectible though. Could happen with the Jefferson, but odds are against it. Think better just to buy some and drink some!
peterh

Unread postby Borchard » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for all the insight. We may just open and enjoy
“Sure I eat what I advertise. Sure I eat Wheaties for breakfast. A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat.” Dizzy Dean
Borchard

Return to Bourbon, Straight