Why is ORVW 10 still on shelf?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Why is ORVW 10 still on shelf?

Unread postby Steinkalt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 am

I don't know much about the VW other than there seems to be a cult following. my local ABC store has about 8 bolltles of Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo on the shelf. Is this the bastard cousin of the Van Winkles? I'm assuming they're just not as sought after as the PVW?
Why is it that I get one glass from a new bottle and by the time I'm ready for #2, the wife has killed it? :(
Steinkalt

Re: Why is ORVW 10 still on shelf?

Unread postby EllenJ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Steinkalt wrote:I don't know much about the VW other than there seems to be a cult following. my local ABC store has about 8 bolltles of Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo on the shelf. Is this the bastard cousin of the Van Winkles? I'm assuming they're just not as sought after as the PVW?

You didn't mention how much they want for them, but ORVW 10-yr is nobody's bastard cousin. It's just younger than the 15 year old golden-haired boy or the 20 and 23-yr old hallowed saints. I prefer it to Old Weller 12, which is (supposedly, 'cause with Julian you never really know) the same juice. If the price seems reasonable, I'd grab 'em all while you can.

Steinkalt wrote:Why is it that I get one glass from a new bottle and by the time I'm ready for #2, the wife has killed it? :(

It's 'cause you're waiting too long :lol:
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Squire » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

If the price is reasonable get them. I actually prefer the 10 year old expression.
Squire

Unread postby dryeager » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:01 am

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of bottles!
dryeager

Unread postby Steinkalt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 am

I'll go snap up whatevers left.
Why is it that I get one glass from a new bottle and by the time I'm ready for #2, the wife has killed it? :(
Steinkalt

Unread postby gauze » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 am

I've only seen this on a shelf once locally, it seems to me to be as rare as anything else VW.
gauze

Unread postby GaryV » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Steinkalt wrote:I'll go snap up whatevers left.

Especially if it's the 10/107 rather than the 10/90
GaryV

Unread postby Steinkalt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Snooze you lose I guess. All gone when I went back. I guess it helps to know what's what before you go to the store.
Steinkalt

Unread postby Vital » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Just got a bottle for $43+tax in NJ last week.

Long story short I just happened to ask a question related to barrel aging noone knew an answer for so they called some old guy from the back to pick "his brains" and he just so happened to have a bottle in his hand like he was pulled out of unpacking a box of these. I couldn't believe my eyes lol. And then I couldn't believe my ears when he said "$43". And yes, he did mention they do not ever have this on the shelves and I can't have the rest as they only got a few bottles.

Either way I'm happy to have at least one, never had VW anything before.
Vital

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 am

Vital wrote:Just got a bottle for $43+tax in NJ last week.

Long story short I just happened to ask a question related to barrel aging noone knew an answer for so they called some old guy from the back to pick "his brains" and he just so happened to have a bottle in his hand like he was pulled out of unpacking a box of these. I couldn't believe my eyes lol. And then I couldn't believe my ears when he said "$43". And yes, he did mention they do not ever have this on the shelves and I can't have the rest as they only got a few bottles.

I'm glad you found some. The last time I bought any was 2005 and I paid 17 and change for it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JPBoston » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:
Vital wrote:Just got a bottle for $43+tax in NJ last week.

I'm glad you found some. The last time I bought any was 2005 and I paid 17 and change for it.
Joe

Oh man... Now I see why all the long-timers are worried about Bourbon prices. That's pretty scary.
JPBoston

Unread postby Squire » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 am

Well JP, speaking as one of the old timers (I had my first drink of Bourbon a little over 50 years ago) I'm not worried in the least. I was drinking Van Winkle whiskys back when they collected dust on the shelves because they weren't very well known and, correspondingly, not in demand. They were good enough to keep some on hand but were not my favorites (then or now) because I prefer rye recipe Bourbons. I didn't pay much attention to them then and see no reason to change that opinion now.

I also don't much care for Bourbons over 10 years old because they reach a point somewhere around 8-10 years when the barrel takes over and the balance changes to favor the oak. Not bad by any means, but a different character and in some ways more single dimensional. Remember, when Pappy ran Stitzel-Weller the oldest whisky they put out was 12 years old and the higher price it commanded reflected the additional costs of production rather than an improvement in quality.

The major houses now put out a wider range of whiskys than I've ever seen before and with excellent stuff available for $30 or less I see no reason to pay more.
Squire

Unread postby JPBoston » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 am

Good point, Squire... there is a very nice variety for under $30, and even under $20. I also agree about bourbon aging, I don't have a massive well of experience with ultra-aged stuff, but I wasn't blown away by EC12 or Weller 12yr (two very popular brands, I know, and right in the $20 range to boot)... and not 'bad' at all, but those extra years didn't seem to work any miracles compared to some of the better NAS stuff.

I just feel bad for the people who were VW fans just a few years ago when they were reasonably priced, and now cost more than double.... I sure hope that OWA, OGD114/BiB, BT, KC, and 4RSmB don't get any bright ideas. ;)

And Evan Williams Black Label -- you stay right at $14.50 per 'family size', thank you very much. :)
JPBoston

Return to Bourbon, Straight