Bulleit 10 Year

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Bulleit 10 Year

Unread postby ramblinman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi All,
My first post, long time bourbon lover, but just getting serious about trying new things and really appreciating it lately.

I was out picking up a bottle of Weller 12 that I've been looking forward to sampling and saw a Bulleit 10 Year on the shelf. Special box and everything, price was around $45. I like the standard Bulleit offering, and their rye is very nice, but since they had the Weller I came in to get I was able to resist temptation this time. Will probably give it a try on the next trip.

Has anyone tried it? And what are your thoughts on what the extra 4/6? years in the barrel does for it. Nothing in the reviews database and very little online about it except announcements.
ramblinman

Re: Bulleit 10 Year

Unread postby EllenJ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Bulleit bourbon is really Four Roses bourbon and is d@mn good, no matter whose label is on the bottle. I'm sure their 10-year old will be very good and probably worth the $45/bottle cost.

Or maybe not... you might want to look at Four Roses' own Single Barrel offering, which is aged anywhere from about 7 to 12 years (depending on the barrel selected for the bottle you happen to find) and which is probably a somewhat different mashbill (they have ten varieties and an almost unlimited number of combinations to choose from - Bulleit's is only one of them) and costs less.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby Squire » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:15 pm

I agree with John, Bulliet 10 is a bit overpriced considering.
Squire

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2013/01/11/r ... -10-years/

From what I've heard, it's fairly good but overpriced. I think at the $45-50 range, I'd be much more likely to go with Four Roses Single Barrel or Blanton's.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 am

I've seen Four Roses Single Barrel at $37.00
Yes, of course that was on sale, but your CAN get it at that.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby ramblinman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. After posting I found a discussion on it in the special bottling section.

I've never really noticed a lot of similarity before between 4 roses and bulleit. I think the 4 roses nose has always separated it so much from everything else for me, I get over the top floral, and then some. I'll probably skip the 10 year bulleit though, for the price I'd probably be happier with getting a bottle of their rye and picking up a weller 12 similar.

Cheers all.
ramblinman

Return to Bourbon, Straight