Barrel proof bourbons head to head

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Barrel proof bourbons head to head

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Before me I have four barrel proof bourbons - William Larue Weller 2006 Release (wheated), Parker's Heritage Collection 10 Year Old Wheated, Four Roses 100th Anniversary Limited Edition, and George T. Stagg 2005 KY only release.

All have been reduced to approximately 105 proof, except the Four Roses which was left at its bottled proof of 108. In color, the darkest is the Stagg, followed by the Parker's, then the Weller, and the Four Roses is decidedly lighter.

First nosing impressions are these: The Weller is chocolaty, the Parker's is leathery, the Four Roses is floral and spicy, and the Stagg is even more chocolaty than the Weller. They are all very rich in vanilla, caramel, and oak. Even at 105+ proof alcohol is barely detectable in the nose. The Four Roses has some cinnamon and some wild flower aromas that the others do not have. All noses promise a bourbon drinker's feast.

The Weller has rich barrel flavors including the expected vanilla, caramel, maple syrup, and chocolate. There are some significant tannins and pepper, both of which soften toward the back of the mouth and offer a short to moderate finish.

The Parker's is, if anything, even richer in caramel/vanilla sweetness and is nicely oaky, but is not so tannic as the Weller, and the Weller is sharper and slightly hotter. The spice in the Parker's is of the mild variety - nutmeg with just a touch of citrus. Like the Weller, the finish is short to moderate (a characteristic I find in many wheat bourbons and the source of my main complaint against Maker's Mark, although not with the Maker's 46).

The Four Roses is likewise barrel rich, but the warming spices go hand in hand with the sweetness and hold it in check. The rye grain plays a major role in this bourbon with its decided bite and cinnamony heat. The finish with the Four Roses is long and spicy, but the sweetness remains, playing its own background solid high note.

The Stagg strikes a nice balance on top of its barrel flavors and the dark chocolaty notes are insistent and persistent, like a rythmic base, and lasting all the way through to the finish. There are some spice notes playing around the edges........and some dark fruit, like cherries, throwing in, like a wayward oboe, their mournful, complex, and powerful presence.

All of these bourbons are expensive, not easy to find, unique, and exceptional. In many ways they (and the periodic releases of their brethern) are the 'creme de la creme' of bourbons. That, me friends, is simply the way it is (in me opinion).

My favorites (not that it matters one whit) among these exceptional bourbons at approximately 105 proof is as follows:

(1) Stagg '05 - for its great balance of competing, but intense, flavors
(2) Parker's - for the subtlety of its sweetness in the midst of strong flavors
(3) Four Roses - for its delicately balancing its rye spice and rye sweetness with the sweetness from the barrel
(4) Weller - strangely, the one at the outset I thought would win, but methinks its does not control the force of the alcohol as well as the others.

All glasses are empty, save the Wellers.

Were it within my power, I would treat every serious and experienced bourbon drinker on BourbonEnthusiast to this same experiment, and have them record their impressions and ranking. If you can find, and afford, any of these bourbons and have not yet tried them, have your favorite liquor store (they know you by now) put one on 'layaway' as you save for its cost. From my point of view (someone should contend with me on this), this is one measure of your love for bourbon, but certainly not the only one.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: Barrel proof bourbons head to head

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I have all four of these Mike. I think, after reading your post, I should try this flight. Mabey, when I get home, I will.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:I have all four of these Mike. I think, after reading your post, I should try this flight. Mabey, when I get home, I will.
Joe

Joe, there is no one whose opinion I would rather see than yours on these bourbons. I know your preference (with all your good reasons) for preferring them.

Have at it!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gauze » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am

I'm just jealous of Mike right now. Well written, sir.
gauze

Return to Bourbon, Straight