Repeal Day Celebrations

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Repeal Day Celebrations

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:37 pm

December 5th 1933 was the day that the nation came to its senses and repealed prohibition. Here in Louisville, the memebrs of BARDS (Bourbon And Rye Drinkers Society an informal group that meets irregularly at D Marie's Bourbon Bar) are planning to meet on December 3rd (Since the 5ht is a Sunday) at D Marie's to celebrate. I challenge members of this site to put together their own celebrations in New York and Baltimore to help us celebrate this great day. Meet together at at a bar or somebody's home and let the bourbon and rye flow.

I know Mark and Chris are in New York and have a few other enthusiast in that city and Howie, Chris and Dave are in Maryland. I think you can find a suitable venue and meet at and spread the word. Let us make this an official holiday for bourbon enthusiast across the nation.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:13 pm

Not a bad idea, Mike. What do my fellow NY'ers have to say? Mark, Chris, LeNell & Dave? We could pour a bit of BT now!

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby angelshare » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Mike, thanks for pointing this out. This was a great day for not only bourbon (and other beverage alcohol) drinkers, but also for anyone who believes that the Constitution is a living document protecting the liberties of all American citizens. Things had gone so far astray that recreational alcohol production, sale and consumption had become CRIMES. As we all know, a lot of bad things resulted. Then the people spoke out, and the Constitution changed back.

It should be a national holiday to remind folks of an often forgotten lesson from American history. Short of that, we should all commit to a toast to liberty on 12/5/04.
Dave & Tina
angelshare

Unread postby dgonano » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:56 pm

I am ready for a Baltimore Blast We'll have some of that BT SB available , so let's go.
Dave G.
dgonano

Unread postby TNbourbon » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:15 am

Prohibition was disastrous for the U.S. economy. Before the federal income tax was enacted in 1914, approximately two-thirds of all federal revenue came from liquor taxes (people don't believe me when I tell them that -- but, as Casey Stengel used to say, you can look it up!), and still nearly half when Prohibition went into effect.
It's a makeable argument that the effect of Prohibition on the government side of the economy was a significant contributing factor to the Great Depression.
Cheers to its repeal.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:20 pm

It looks like there is some interest in this celebration. Maybe even some new chapters of BARDS. To form a BARDS chapter is quite simple - the rules are:
1) Meet when you can.
2) Drink Bourbon and Rye whiskey.
3 Have a good time, but no when to say enough.

If you are in Louisville on the 3rd of December, come on down to D Marie's and join our celebration, otherwise for your own and enjoy. Just remember to toast Utah - the last state needed to pass repeal.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Mark » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:50 pm

Damn, I wish I were in the new house already and it would have been easy to have everyone over but next year is a definite! Thank God they came to their senses over 70 years ago!
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:09 pm

How's this :arrow: I get off work at 5 am and shuold be toasting Repeal Day before the rest of you even wake up, but while ya'll are celebrating that evening I'll be back at work again. RATS! Drink one for ol' bunghole will ya?

ima 8)
bunghole

Unread postby Mark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:01 am

bunghole wrote:Drink one for ol' bunghole will ya?

ima 8)

:!:

For you Linn, I'll drink two! :lol:

:cheers: :drink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:32 am

Linn,
Very Old Barton for you and a Buffalo Trace for Vickie.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:42 pm

bourbonv wrote: Maybe even some new chapters of BARDS. To form a BARDS chapter is quite simple - the rules are:
1) Meet when you can.
2) Drink Bourbon and Rye whiskey.
3 Have a good time, but no when to say enough.

Mike Veach

Mike,

I think those are some awesome rules, although #3 could be tough sometimes. I do agree that it is important though.

So what about it my fellow NY'ers? :?: Shall we have a NY BARDS chapter? I think we should, then we can toast our fellow BARDS brothers and sisters, toast the wisdom of our federal government, toast the progressiveness of those out there in Utah, etc., etc. If no one is interested Mike, I'll be the NY rep. You can count on me! :cheers:

Bob
Brewer

Unread postby Mark » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:02 pm

Cmon' now Bob, you don't have to even ask me to be part of a Bourbon and Rye drinking society! :lol: Sounds great. Trust me, in a few months all of us on here from NY will be getting together for some serious drinking! :wink:
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Chris » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:56 pm

I'm in, but i don't know about toasting the wisdom of the federal government... It seems that we could do without a few more regulations regarding bourbon... :mrgreen:

-Chris
Chris
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Brewer » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Chris wrote: i don't know about toasting the wisdom of the federal government...

Chris...that was written with a high degree of sarcasm. The same is true about my point about Utah.
Brewer

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:42 am

Sounds like we are off to a good start with celebrations in Louisville, New York and maybe Maryland. How about you John and Linda? Are you going to host something in Cincy with Marvin and Evelyn, or would you like to come down to the Louisville celebration. You know we would enjoy having you join us.

By the way, since good whiskey at the time of repeal was hard to find, I think we will start with a 16 yo probably, Twisted Spoke, to represent the old whiskey from the "Medicinal" stocks available in 1933.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight