I love Elija Craig 12yr, what should I try next?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

I love Elija Craig 12yr, what should I try next?

Unread postby taczac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 am

Hi everyone,

Long time reader first time poster here... I am hooked on Elija Criag 12yr right now but I am looking to try other bourbons that have similar flavor profiles. I really enjoy the toasted caramel and heavy wood nose with the sweet vanilla finish that the Elija Criag has. Any suggestions on what my next bottle should be?

Thanks!
Zac
taczac

Re: I love Elija Craig 12yr, what should I try next?

Unread postby vince » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Evan Williams SIngle Barrel is the same mashbill and has some of the same components although I think you get more of the wood and vanilla from the EC 12 with a little more dried fruit with the Evan Williams. Knob Creek Single Barrel is absolutely superb (at 120 proof you may need to add a splash of water), For something a little softer I would try the WL Weller 12 year old. Its a wheated bourbon but it has been in the barrel for 12 years and you really get a nice wood spice on the back palate.
vince

Unread postby schmluss » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 pm

I would recommend some Elijiah Craig 18yo.
schmluss

Unread postby MacinJosh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:37 am

If you want to stay within the Heaven Hill realm, try the Evan Williams Single Barrel that Vince suggested. If you want to expand on the caramel, sweetness with less wood and more front palate, try the new Larceny. If you want a little more oak influence and less sweetness, try the Elijah Craig 18yr. If you want to be blown away try the Parker's Heritage Collection releases, especially the 10yr Wheated Mashbill.

Start with those, report back on what you liked and didn't like, and we'll expand beyond Heaven Hill. But remember, this is always subjective and everyone's palate is different. The only way you'll ever know what you like and don't like is by your own experiences, not the opinion of others.

Now with that disclaimer out of the way.....have fun!

Cheers!
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby taczac » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks guys! I am going to roll over to BevMo and check those out. :D Ill keep you posted...
taczac

Unread postby Birdo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 am

Ridgemont Reserve 1792 is similar in price and flavor to EC12, it comes in a cool looking body too. Nice color and great mouth feel. It's from Barton which is in Bardstown like Heaven hill, my point is its the same or similar water that makes this stuff so good.
Birdo

Unread postby boneuphtoner » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm a huge fan of Elijah Craig 12, and since you wanted something similar but definitely different from that profile, I would suggest Weller 12. I think Weller 12 shares much in common with EC12, both have a strong oak influence for sure, with the Weller 12 slightly sweeter and a little less spicy. The Weller Special reserve and Antique don't have nearly the oak influence that the 12 does IMHO.

Good luck checking stuff out!
boneuphtoner

Unread postby ethangsmith » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm

I'd recommend the 1792 as well. I think Knob Creek may give you what you're after, as will Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve 10 year old bourbon.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Return to Bourbon, Straight