Avian Veternarians

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Avian Veternarians

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm

I did a bourbon tasting for Avian Vets that were meeting at the Marriott on Teusday. I did not pick the bourbons for the tasting - I gave a list of suggestions to the hotel and they ignored it completely and picked six bourbons that had huge prices per pour. I guess these doctors could afford it. It turned out to be an interesting tasting and i did meet former Cubs pitcher Richard Nye who has a very good nose for whiskey.

The first bourbon we tasted was Buffalo Trace as a traditional bourbon made with rye. Next was Maker's 46 as a wheated bourbon but it also helped me talk about wood chipping whiskey. The third product was Sazerac 18yo rye whiskey. This helped explain the rye factor in bourbon. The fourth bourbon was Woodford Double Oak which was a nice comparison to the Maker's 46 when discussing wood. The Jefferson Presidential Reserve 18yo and George T. Stagg rounded out the tasting with Jefferson's being another wheated bourbon and the Stagg as barrel proof unfiltered. Needles to say there were a lot of happy bird doctors that night.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Avian Veternarians

Unread postby GaryV » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm

A couple of BTAC's and the Jefferson's would definitely make for an interesting tasting. Very nice range of whiskies. I'm curious about what they thought of their first taste of the Stagg if they'd never had it before
GaryV

Return to Bourbon, Straight