Is Bakers or Basil like Old Grand Dad

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Is Bakers or Basil like Old Grand Dad

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:11 am

What beam small batch is more palate of Old Grand Dad?
Mouth coating, lightness to it but big and soft, fresh, not too much oak,
Any advice would help.

Rare Breed. Did not suit me.
Basil Hayden reviews say water like mid palate. .
Ive had Booker's years ago. Excellent big softness but too heavy for me.

I
dickelfanaustralia

Re: Is Bakers or Basil like Old Grand Dad

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:03 am

Try a bottle of Basil Hayden, it's supposedly the same as Old Grandad, only aged longer. But you pay through the nose for it and its only 80 proof.
Birdo

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:57 pm

I'm know thinking Bakers for more body it..
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Eggman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Howdy,

Baker's is my favorite Bourbon. Smoooth.
Eggman

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I have always thought that Basil reminded me of watered down OGD. Expensive watered down OGD. I don't buy it for that reason.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am

I will Not Buy Basil ever then.

My vintage dencor OGD 86 seems little hot, alcoholic and not big at that back palate of rye and char little pieces

my vintage mini ohio labled 86 was perfection.

my current Dickel 12 had that same great back palate too. Is this an old technique cause Wild Turkey does not do it like that either.

im currently sipping a mini vintage beam white. dam, this is better then modern bookers.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby MacinJosh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:I have always thought that Basil reminded me of watered down OGD. Expensive watered down OGD. I don't buy it for that reason.
Joe

That's because that's what it is. ;)
Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

"Sometimes I drink my whiskey neat. Other times I take my tie off and leave my shirt out."
MacinJosh

Unread postby ethangsmith » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Try the Baker's. It's 107pf and has a good robust flavor without being hot or too spicy. Probably my favorite of the collection, though Knob Creek ain't too bad either!
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Im not sure on Bakers cause I just forked out on booker's and im not keen on that batch

what's turkey 101 like. Could batches be thin and alcoholic cause a vintage 101 (no age) mini seemed thin.

Rare breed seem thin to me and little bad burn too and alcoholic. also i dont like nutty hard texture to it.
wt 101 rye was thick and good.
my current 86 is thick and a tasty home baked quality. not like that years ago and like paintthinner.

well i have dickel 8 import to pickup from post tomorrow. Dickel is just great. never had no 8.

I have yet to try jd single. I sure buy a lot of bottles i don't like or was put off by something too much.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:00 pm

dickelfan, I am not sure bourbon is a beverage on which you should be spending your money. Few bourbons seem to suit your palate. I find very few bourbons about which I am unwilling to say something good........... Basil Hayden is one of those and even I recognize that I do so more out of some old prejudices than the reality. I think of it as a giant rip off and would much prefer to spend money elsewhere. I have not had any in years now, and if I run across a 50 ml bottle, I will buy it and drink it just to be fair about it.

Still, it seems you have very little to say in a positive way about some of what I consider excellent bourbons (and to be correct about it, Tennessee whiskies). I think you, and other new to bourbon drinkers, seem to often think each bottle of bourbon you buy has its own unique character, which can often have undesirable elements.

Now, I readily admit that my palate is not the best one on Bourbon Enthusiast, but I almost never find a wayward bottle of bourbon, and, sometimes if I do, going back to it another time will reveal the waywardness was in my palate, not in the bourbon. From your posts I see that you have given a nice lot of bourbons a go and have found few that you crow about. That is fine, of course, but may I offer a few suggestions without any intention of insulting your knowledge of whiskey or how to drink it, or your progress as a whiskey drinker.

Never forget that your palate can, and does, change. A lot of factors can influence your palate, including such obvious things as what you have been eating, and drinking, just prior to what you are now tasting. Bear in mind that if you are about to taste a 90+ proof whiskey, take a small sip of water first. If you do not, then a drier tongue will cause the alcohol to evaporate more quickly from your tongue and make the whiskey seem even more potent that it really is. A small sip of water twixt bourbons is also needed to lessen the influence of the last one on the present one. In order for your palate to respond properly to good bourbon (or any other whiskey), you must give it time. If you gulp down whiskey, your palate will be shocked and unable to discriminate the various flavors. So, sip whiskey, never gulp it.

The first taste you will notice with a sip is the degree of sweetness in the whiskey. As the whiskey travels slowly across the mouth other tastes emerge............ things like vanilla, leather, citrus, peppers, etc. etc. Toward the back of the mouth will be the tannins and the drying effects.

If you think Rare Breed is thin, then I suggest that you are not giving it proper attention at the front of the mouth. RB is a rich and creamy bourbon with much upfront character directly from the barrel.... sweet vanilla, oak, etc., followed by a nice chunk of rye bite. Rare Breed should absolutely be treated as a sipping whiskey. It is a first rate bourbon.

Take a bit more time with bourbon, if you still do not care for it, or find it too inconsistent, try Canadian whiskey or Irish whiskey or other malt whiskies (Scotch). They may be more to your liking. By the way, I think Bakers is a fine bourbon and have had it many, many times. At this particular moment, I do not have any, perferring instead to spend my 'Beam' money on the new Knob Creek Single Barrel.

These are only my suggestions that I hope might help you some as you explore American Whiskey. Another, by the way. One of the best of these whiskies, in my opinion, is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. I think it has a delicacy that you might find to your liking.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:26 pm

RB has Superior flavor quality of chocolate, nuts, peppers. Rb has small batch grains.
The nut characteristics I can't break that texture down well. .
I don't think I was drinking it properly. You explained it well.

Seems I want the same textures, wood, mash characteristics all the time.

I'll keep JD single in mind if it delicate. oh, the wood is soft with big soft vanilla and spice.

Still thinking wild turkey 101. Is it thick and too alcohol not bad. Too drink at breakfast.

Ive gone though some of your reviews. There very good.

I have liked scotch. Bladnoch. Bruichladdich too.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:02 am

I came to the same conclusion as Mike. Dikelfan just doesn't like bourbon all that well, or is posting garbage for God knows what reason.

Short story, I pretty much like all bourbon with the exception of youngish 80 proofers, the rest is all good. I also am price sensitive to anything over $30/750ml.
Birdo

Unread postby dickelfanaustralia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Mike explained it good! I got a better idea now why i fail on so many.

is wild turkey 101 thick or is the body more like rare breed?

maybe thick is wrong word. is alcohol hidden.
dickelfanaustralia

Unread postby Mike » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:53 pm

dickelfanaustralia wrote:Mike explained it good! I got a better idea now why i fail on so many.

is wild turkey 101 thick or is the body more like rare breed?

maybe thick is wrong word. is alcohol hidden.

I like Wild Turkey bourbons, all of them. I also happen to think that Rare Breed is a lot better bourbon than is the regular 101. WT bourbons do have thickness, it comes from time in the barrel, as does sweetness and its counterpart tannin........... and, because WT uses a high rye grain recipe it has a WT characteristic bite. As I understand it, all WT bourbon use the same recipe for all their bourbons........ the difference is in the aging.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby alext » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I've gotta ask dickelfan, and I'm not trying to be a smartarse, is English your first lanugauge? Seems like some of your meaning is lost in translation.

I also am a big fan of the WT range, RB is fantastic, very long legs, mouth coating flavor that I love as a nightcap, much better than the 101 which itself is a great whiskey , although I didn't like the 12yr when it was available in OZ, from memory it was too sweet and almost had and astringent sherry like quality.
alext

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight