Worst youve ever had?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Worst youve ever had?

Unread postby GaryV » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 am

Cody Road. I also had a few buddies give it a try and we all agreed that it's horrible. Not just bad ........horrible :puke:

Gary
GaryV

Unread postby ethangsmith » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:30 pm

--Jim Beam Black was a huge disappointment, as was Basil Haydn's.
--You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. Then again, I've never had a wheater I like except Cabin Still!
--Echo Spring was pretty boring, but it was only about $8 for the bottle.
--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.
--Eagle Rare 10- Not bad, but I have to be in the mood for it.
--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).
--Every Scotch or Irish whiskey I've ever had- The barley and peat make them taste like stomach acid to me. I can't even swallow the stuff without a gag reflex. Seriously.
--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby boneuphtoner » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:00 pm

[quote][You guys are going to kill me for this but- I can't stand the Weller line. It's just downright gross to me. /quote]

With the exception of the Weller 12, which is one of my favorites, I' agree with you 100%. I have never tried the older OWA, which is reported to be excellent, but the recent bottles I've purchased are easily in my top 5 of the worst bourbons I've ever tried. Lots of alcohol burn with some superficial sweetness, but it has no depth at all for my palate.
boneuphtoner

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:30 pm

My thoughts exactly. Wheater bourbons are too sweet and simple for me.
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby fricky » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:30 am

Threads such as this (Worst you ever had) are pretty much useless. There could be another thread - Best you ever had - and the same bourbons may be on it. As we all know, individual palates vary. Why would I care what someone thinks is the best or worst bourbon? My preferences are based on what I have tasted, not what someone else tasted. For example, I beleieve that the bottle of Old Weller Antique that I purchased after the age statement was removed is outstanding. Who cares if I like it, you may not.
fricky

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 am

fricky wrote: For example, I beleieve that the bottle of Old Weller Antique that I purchased after the age statement was removed is outstanding. Who cares if I like it, you may not.

I like it too. No, I love it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby JPBoston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:42 pm

fricky wrote:Threads such as this (Worst you ever had) are pretty much useless. There could be another thread - Best you ever had - and the same bourbons may be on it. As we all know, individual palates vary. Why would I care what someone thinks is the best or worst bourbon? My preferences are based on what I have tasted, not what someone else tasted. For example, I beleieve that the bottle of Old Weller Antique that I purchased after the age statement was removed is outstanding. Who cares if I like it, you may not.

Well, I think these threads are useful for two reasons:

1) For bourbon noobs who haven't had a wide-variety and want to get a general feel for what's good out there. Granted, just saying something is 'bad' is usually pretty useless, but reading WHY people like/dislike something can help inform the newer enthusiasts on what to try next, and to help compare their developing palates to others. I, for one, used these types of discussions to form my initial 'what to try first' lists.... then formed my own opinions as I tried as many bourbons as possible. It's nice to have that knowledge base to read thru as you're finding your way though.

2) Interesting discussion. It's not like these bourbon forums are bursting with new threads, or even posts, every day. Fun to have something to discuss. I'd rather read opinions like these then come to an empty forum.

FWIW, OWA (new, no age statement) is one of my favs as well. Surprised to find the 'hate' for it in this thread. But like Fricky said, tastes vary.
JPBoston

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Taste are different. That is why we have the review section so that you can get other opinions of a product before you purchase. If you have tastes similar to to the reviewer of one product, then you can make judgements based upon their opinion of a different product. If you find a product that you don't like, but others do, then it becomes even more important to post a review so that others will know that they are not alone.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby JPBoston » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:32 pm

bourbonv wrote:Taste are different. That is why we have the review section so that you can get other opinions of a product before you purchase. If you have tastes similar to to the reviewer of one product, then you can make judgements based upon their opinion of a different product. If you find a product that you don't like, but others do, then it becomes even more important to post a review so that others will know that they are not alone.

Reviews are fine... but actual conversations are better. Usually get more pertinent info out them.
JPBoston

Unread postby fricky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 am

Detailed reviews are interesting and informative; however, lists of worst or best bourbons are not.
fricky

Unread postby JPBoston » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:36 pm

fricky wrote:Detailed reviews are interesting and informative; however, lists of worst or best bourbons are not.

Lists can be pointless, yes... but I clearly said I prefer "conversations" to reviews and never mentioned "lists". Straw man much?
JPBoston

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 pm

While it wasn't terrible, Devil's Cut was highly disappointing. It seemed excessively woody and not at all matching the price point which it was at. Much better bourbons could be had at the same amount.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby William » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:59 pm

ethangsmith wrote:--ALL Four Roses products- too much acid flavor and not enough leather and grain flavor.

--Jack Daniel's- who the hell drinks this stuff?!?! Tastes like bananananas (Spelling??).

--AND THE #1 WORST EVER- WILD TURKEY 81 RYE. LORD HAVE MERCY ON US. BRING BACK THE 101 RYE!!

I dont like jim beam stuff. four roses yellow is good to me, flowery tasting, which is nice. JD is crap, but johnny drum is far inferior. haha, and yeah i cant stand wild turkey, its a fighting drink to me, and i like to relax when i drink.

To me wild turkey is what was drank in the old wast and very old barton is what was drank by forrest men.

I think conversation is better than reviews. Which is why I started this thread :)
William

Unread postby alext » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:17 am

WT 86 horrible, horrible stuff, love the 101 though
JB small batch - couldnt even mix away the nastiness
Basil Haydens - way too light, should be labelled "bourbon flavoured"
alext

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:49 am

I know its not bourbon but I had a snoot full of Windsor Canadian over the weekend, had to mix it with coke. It was all my in-laws had. Next time, I'll bring a bottle as a gift and then drink half of it.

It is easy to forget how good bourbon is when you don't drink swill beverages from canada.
Birdo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight