Questions about Very Old Barton, Old Forester and OF 100

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Questions about Very Old Barton, Old Forester and OF 100

Unread postby JPBoston » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey gang ---

Here in AZ, those three value brands are not in high supply.... so I was hoping you could answer a couple questions for me. I know these are 'opinion' based, but I'm interested in hearing opinions... it'll help me prioritize my list of which bourbons to try first. :)

1: Old Forester vs Old Forester 100 (is this the 'Signature"?): Both of my large local liquor stores carry standard OF. But only one carries the 100 proof variation, with the caveat of only having the 1.75L size. The million dollar newbie question is; is the 100 proofer that much better? Should I just leave the standard bottle alone and bite the bullet on the $32 handle of the 100? I do know from my past experience with other bourbons that I enjoy the 100-110 proof range, as KC and OWA are two of my favs. I'm just a little shy to commit to the 1.75L since I've never had it before.

2: Very Old Barton: Is it worth harassing my liquor store to get this in stock? I have seen the name pop up in value bourbon threads/discussions. Does it compete well with EWB and OGD?
JPBoston

Re: Questions about Very Old Barton, Old Forester and OF 100

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Signature is very good IMO. I'd go for it. VOB is better IMO than EWB and cheaper than OGD. There ya have it.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm

I like Old Forester 100 better than 86. The 86 is ok. The 100 is one of my favorite regular pours. $32 for a 1.75L sounds like a good price. I usually have to pay about $17 or so for a 750ml. If you can get VOB, try to get the B.I.B., or the 90. Some 80, or 86 proof whiskeies can come accross as ok, but rather plain.
PaulO

Unread postby JPBoston » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks for the replies! I know this is kinda a 'blah' topic, so I appreciate the input.

My wife just gifted me a bottle of Old Grand Dad BiB for father's day (my first bottle, I had enjoyed OGD 86 several months ago... and was surprised she remembered that I was interested in the BiB version). My next bourbon purchase will be the OF Signature thanks to your input.

Thanks again!

** Paul --- thanks for mentioning the different versions of VOB, meant to ask about that as well. I will be sure to ask for the higher proof versions.
JPBoston

Unread postby TheEther » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 am

OF 100 (Signature) is hands down one of the best bourbons period for its price range. I hand it to people all the time that think it's fantastic but don't know what I've given them. They're shocked when I tell them what it is.
TheEther

Unread postby gillmang » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 am

I agree with Joe. I'd add that IMO, VOB (any proof) is superior to OGD.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby JPBoston » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:52 am

Thanks again for the info, guys.

I just bought myself a bottle of OF86 for $9.99. I forgot my usual stop didn't carry the OF100 at all... so I put in an official request for it, and the manager seemed to think he could get it for me easily enough since they carry the 86 proof version in both 750 and 1.75.

I know first pours can be a bit misleading sometimes, but my initial response is very positive! Very interesting, and reminds me of Woodford Reserve. I'm really enjoying this so far... another home run of a BE recommendation! :)

ADDED:

They were busy tonight (being a friday and all)... so I didn't hold up the manager any longer then I had to. Will put in a request for VOB 100 as well, next time I'm in there. Which reminds me, I did see a bourbon with an orange label that was called something like "Colonel Lee" and the finer print mentioned being distilled (and/or) bottled by Barton. Anyone try this?
JPBoston

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 am

JPBoston wrote: Which reminds me, I did see a bourbon with an orange label that was called something like "Colonel Lee" and the finer print mentioned being distilled (and/or) bottled by Barton. Anyone try this?

Col. Lee is a long gone Barton BiB which is pretty tasty for an inexpensive bourbon. Since they don't make it anymore, I'd grab all they have.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:24 pm

I understand they're bringing it back.

Don't know if it will taste like the old stuff, though, since I THINK the original Colonel Lee was made with whiskey they'd got when they acquired Glenmore, but 100-proof Barton is pretty good already, and I imagine a new Colonel Lee would be the same thing, only a different age.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby JPBoston » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:29 pm

EllenJ wrote:I understand they're bringing it back.

Don't know if it will taste like the old stuff, though, since I THINK the original Colonel Lee was made with whiskey they'd got when they acquired Glenmore, but 100-proof Barton is pretty good already, and I imagine a new Colonel Lee would be the same thing, only a different age.

I think it was the bare minimum 80 proof.... could be wrong though.
JPBoston

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Nope.
100-proof, Bottled-in-Bond
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby JPBoston » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:33 pm

:geek:

The Barton website does show that they produce both 100 and 80 proof varieties.... but this pic of the 80 proofer is definitely what I saw.
JPBoston

Unread postby PaulO » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I saw only the 80 proof Colonel Lee in Louisville several months ago. I would have bought some if they had the bonded.
PaulO

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Joe,

JPBoston's Col. Lee was apparently the 80 proof orange label version. I've never seen one.

The BIB you're talking about is the only one I'm familiar with. I have two of 'em, one from the early '90's (the one on the right) and the other from the late '60s or early '70s (the tax stamp date is faded beyond recognition, but it's a quart)

If they're bring the Colonel back, I sure hope it's the 100-proofer.

BTW, both were distilled at DSP 12 (Barton), so that makes it clear they weren't Owensboro whiskey.
Attachments
Image1- 768h.jpg
Image1- 768h.jpg (100.79 KiB) Viewed 10326 times
=JOHN=
EllenJ

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 pm

The new label also says

"Bottled by Barton Distilling Company, Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky, Los Angeles, California"

anyone want to comment on what bottling operation might be happening in the whiskey capital known as LA?

Also does not say "Distilled and Bottled by" which would mean that they distilled all the whiskey at Barton, so it appears this could be bought-in or "found" whiskey that they bottled at Barton, or they did distill it there but reserve the right to buy it from other sources (I seem to remember that Wild Turkey also just says "Bottled by" and we know they have their own distillery).
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Next

Return to Bourbon, Straight