My list of bourbons to try, and what should I add to it?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: My list of bourbons to try, and what should I add to it?

Unread postby EllenJ » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:20 pm

JP, Great selection. I don't think you could do better than what you have, other than adding to the available variety.

You show #4 on your wanna-list as "OF 100". Since you already have Old Fitz 100, I'm guessing you mean Old Forester. That's a really good bourbon and certainly worth having, but I wouldn't recommend that you shell out for the 1.75 bottle; it's not THAT unique and spectacular.

#5, EW single barrel is quite tasty, and it would be nice to have one in your collection. But unless you want to specialize in a collection of single-barrel offerings year after year, it really isn't any better than what you already have. The same can be said for the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons; any one of them is great, but the real treat is to compare year after year, since they're all quite different from one another.

#2, You can order VOB from Binny's (http://www.binnys.com/all/barton#/?page=1) and probably other online sources as well. You should. Neither myself nor the Goddess are particularly enamored with Very Old Barton (in any proof; they have several), but many bourbon enthusiasts (as well as most Kentucky bourbon drinkers) prefer that brand to all others. It belongs in your collection.

Also, Mogollon Brewing Company, in Flagstaff, is a regional small brewery that also distills whiskey from its beer mash. This isn't bourbon, of course, since the major (perhaps only) grain is malted barley, but it's worth getting a bottle for your collection. And for bringing to any of the gatherings you might attend, since that would be a totally IMPOSSIBLE whiskey for any of the rest of us to have tasted.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby RandyG » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 am

As JLH3 suggested, you need to give the Wild Turkey Rare Breed a try. Especially since you've got the ORVW 107 up towards the top. I like it better than said VW (and I'm a HUGE PVW15 fan).

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby GBrough » Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Try Wild Turkey Kentucky spirit while it is more expensive, i put up there as one of my favorite bourbons in my early drinking career.

Try Rowan's Creek and Four Roses Single barrel if you can.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight