Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon at Costco

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Kirkland Small Batch Bourbon at Costco

Unread postby Kiwiloco » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:59 pm

It's a +100 prof bourbon. Bottle looks like a takeoff from Woodford. Well balanced.
Kiwiloco

Unread postby boneuphtoner » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 pm

Tried this for the first time a few weeks ago. Unlike most of the lukewarm reviews here, I really liked it. Less astringent than Knob Creek, less funky than Baker's. The best of both of them IMHO.
boneuphtoner

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:34 am

One of these days I'll get to this sucker... It's on my list, can't wait to give it a shot.
JPBoston

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 am

im gonna ask a costco-loving friend to pick some up for me. he'll be here for a cookout in a few weeks, ill have him bring it along. sounds like something id like
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Jbrian29605 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 pm

If this is anything like their wine, then they really did have something to do with it. For wine, they meet with different vintners and discuss what traits they are looking for and have a team of knowledgeable tasters select by committee from the offerings. From there, they will award the contract to the best offering (best in this case meaning taste, price point, and ability to deliver).

It makes sense that only the bigger capacity distillers would participate to be able to bring economy of scale and deliver a good price point. From there though, it is all about quality. They take the Kirkland branding seriously. For Costco, it is not simply a generic sub brand. However, they are self aware enough to know that their brand isn't as high brow as others, so they fully endorse you buying their spirits and decanting them to avoid the cheapskate stigma (however, when your guests say that they enjoy the beverage, Costco would like for you to reveal the source).

So it makes sense that this is decidedly a Beam product, but doesn't seem to be exactly like any other on their line card. Maybe take JBB or BH and tweak it a bit and voila you have Kirkland.
Jbrian29605

Unread postby Squire » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Or use Kirkland as a base for our own house brand. Soak the label off an empty, substitute a computer generated one and treat our guests to a taste of 100 proof hand bottled, small batch "Old Potash".
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm

I bought a liter for a bit under $20. I think this is 7 YO would be Knob Creek. It is, in my opinion, a mite rougher in the finish. If it ain't Beam whiskey, then you can call me a 'Yankee'.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight