Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby thomas15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 am

Tonight I wil continue with WT101. As I progress in this adventure in Bourbon, I have to say that WT101 has in some ways allowed me to gain essential experience in areas that seasoned Bourbon drinkers talk about here but are generally not part of my normal experience.

For example, in some reviews, it is said that a particular Bourbon is "chewy". This concept of chewy is obsecure to the novice. But in order to survive the actual tasting of this particular spirit, I had to teach myself to hold in mouth and chew. This is a required survival technique for this brew (at least for me) if keeping one's composure is important, which it is for me.

WT101 is also an example of how a particular offering can be affected the mood or how the mood can be affected by the drink. To my way of thinking, the brand is not one that fits every occasion and yet it will force it's way into your favor if you allow it. Sort of like lifting weights at a gym, you may not feel like doing it on a particular day or you might not particurly want to experience the pain associated with the exercise but one you get through the routine, all that is forgotten and you are glad you made the effort. Sometimes you just have to kind of force yourself into pouring that glass but there are never any later regretts.

This might be beyond the scope of this thread but I'm continuing with WT101 tonight and will finish the day with a better understanding of Bourbon because of it.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Squire » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Today is Tuesday so I'll be having some Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Squire wrote:Today is Tuesday so I'll be having some Old Grand Dad.

just on days that end in a 'y', right, squire?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Or have 'day' in the name.
Squire

Unread postby PollardsVision » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:16 pm

I little 114 followed by some Dickel Rye.
PollardsVision

Unread postby thomas15 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:21 pm

For the last 5 or 6 evenings I have been tasting Evan Williams 1783 and enjoying the change from WT 101. But this evening I decided another change was in order so I cracked open a bottle of Black Bottle blended scotch. Not bad. Different; but not bad.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Noah's Mill again. Man, this stuff is good. It drinks much easier than it's proof would suggest. Had it last weekend also. The weekend prior to that started off with Hennessey Privilege and then I opened a bottle of Martel Cordon Bleu. That Martel will take some getting used to. Not your every day cognac.

cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby PollardsVision » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:54 am

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star.

I think it's officially replaced both EW White and Black as my favorite cheap bourbon of choice. I prefer the lighter, licorice, cinnamon, tea type of sweetness from AAA10 over the heavier chocolate, cherry cola, and sometimes banana type of sweetness from EW.

Plus a full liter of AAA10 is only $12.50 where a .75 of EW is $13.50. That certainly doesn't hurt.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Squire » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Doesn't hurt at all, I think 10 Star shows right well in it's category.
Squire

Unread postby Agalloch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Cracked open my first bottle of Old Overholt today. Being my first rye I was surprised at how smooth it was, id almost say a nice vanilla note in there. A little weak due to the low proof, if it was around 100 I think it would be very good but Its still worth my 17 dollars. I got it too replace my OGB BIB which blows me away for the same money as Overholt. I'm learning that I really like a whisky that has a long finish and bites back (spicy ).
Agalloch

Unread postby BarrelAged » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm

I'm sipping some Evan Williams black label...neat, the only way i drink my bourbon. I tried this for the first time lower shelf hunting for an affordable every day bourbon about a month ago. What a great find. Smooth, with nice spice on the palate, honey as well as the typical aromas found in this style, and a nice lengthy finish.
BarrelAged

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 am

you're the first person in .........forever....who has liked the current OO. It'll always be easy to find, though, as no one else wants it.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh lets be charitable Doug, Overholdt has more going for it than most Canadians and they are very popular.
Squire

Unread postby Squire » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:59 pm

I agree with your assessment BA, Evan Williams black label may carry a lower shelf price but it's status is decidedly higher than that.
Squire

Unread postby BarrelAged » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Tonight I'm trying a bourbon i haven't had before Very Old Barton BIB. Thanks to all those who provided a review for this one, those reviews peaked my interest in this bourbon and i am thoroughly enjoying this offering. What a nice bourbon at such great price. Plus i get to check off another of the BIB and "Old" bourbons from the must try list :D
BarrelAged

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight