Onion Soup

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Onion Soup

Unread postby brendaj » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm

A few nights ago I visited Mr. Veach, and helped to copy some really, really cool Bourbon files from the 60's. These files involved the legislation that made Bourbon Kentucky's spirit. Some pretty cool stuff. As we copied the paperwork, I saw recipes. I promised to post them if I could make a copy for myself. So here they are...

I'll start with this one. I've actually tried it and it's awesome.

I love onion soup, but I never really thought of adding Bourbon (I know... :roll: ).
Anyway, Boy Howdy. It sooo works. Here's the recipe from one of the booklets. He can give you more info about where the booklet came from, I was just making copies, and drinking Willett...

ONION SOUP
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed onion soup
1/3 cup Bourbon
1 cup croutons
1 tblsp. Parmesan cheese

Prepare soup as directed on label; heat to boiling point. Add Bourbon and stir well. Cover over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix croutons and cheese together lightly. Pour soup into serving bowls. Top each serving with croutons, Makes 4 servings.

Naturally, I had to add my own interpretation. I used a slice of crusty french bread instead of the croutons, and sauteed a few onions to toss into the broth. I also added a slice of swiss cheese to the top, and browned it slightly under the broiler. But you decide...
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Re: Onion Soup

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I love onion soup Brenda. Gonna give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re: Onion Soup

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:38 pm

I think I will try this too. Most likely I will slice some Vidalia onions into strips and put them in for good measure...........and then I will probably mess with the recipe a bit more too. I like your idea of the crusty french bread too, Brenda.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Bourbon Recipes