Michter's Whiskey Cake

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Michter's Whiskey Cake

Unread postby samkom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm

This is a tried and true holiday favorite at our house. The recipe came from a Michter's promotional booklet from the early 80's. This cake costs about $40 to make, and is worth every penny!

Michter's Whiskey Cake (Transcribed exactly from Michter's recipe. My notes follow.)

5 cups sifted flour
1 pound white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 pound butter
6 eggs, beaten separately
1 pint Michter's whiskey
1 pound red candied cherries, cut in pieces or halves
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 pound shelled pecans, raw and cut into pieces
1/2 pound chopped white raisins or chopped dates
1 teaspoon baking powder

Soak cherries and raisins in Michter's overnight, Be sure to cover the cherries and raisins tightly while soaking so that the aroma of the Michter's does not evaporate. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well. Add soaked fruit and remaining liquid and the flour, reserving a small amount of flour for the nuts. Add nutmeg and baking powder. Fold in beaten egg whites. Add the lightly floured pecans last.

Bake in a large greased tube pan lined with greased paper for three to four hours in a slow oven, 250 to 275 degrees. Watch baking time.

To store when thoroughly cool, place in tightly covered container. Stuff center hole with cheesecloth soaked in Michter'a. Wrap in heavy waxed paper. It isn't necessary to soak cake in whiskey as cake will be moist and flavorful.

Keep very cool--in refrigerator if necessary.

My notes:

I prefer dates to raisins, and I never use pre-chopped dates as they sort of disappear after baking. I prefer to cut whole dates into large pieces. Do not soak the dates! I don't chop the nuts with a chopper for the same reason, preferring to break them by hand or chop with large knife. I buy the cherries already halved to avoid that mess. I grease the pan and use ungreased parchment paper to line it.

The first time I made this cake I was amazed how perfectly it turned out, dark tan and incredibly moist. I haven't messed too much with anything they say, and prefer the 275 degree oven. I make the cake at least a week (and up to a month) before I serve it and I keep moistening the cheesecloth every week or so. I also put whiskey on my hands and rub the entire cake once or twice while curing for more intensity.

To serve, I slice the cake and then cut each slice into about six small pieces. The cake is so rich and whiskey flavored, it needs to be eaten more like candy than a regular cake. The end result is raved about by anyone who likes whiskey. Those who don't are repulsed! This is my fourth year making this, and I've always used Michter's, from Schaefferstown! (Yes, I still have a stash!)

Good luck, God bless, and Happy Holidays!
samkom

Unread postby brendaj » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 am

Sam,
Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe!

Sort of reminds me of the Jam Cakes my GreatGranny made every year about a month before Christmas. Her's were very heavy and darker, and she used a sweet wine. This is a Bourbon version. It looks lighter, more delicate. It might be good served with some sort of Bourbon custard sauce...

Those who don't are repulsed!

:lol: Yep, that's how to tell you did it right...
Bj
Last edited by brendaj on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby samkom » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Hey Brenda,

Thanks for your note!

This one is too good not to share. It really is a whiskey lover's whiskey cake, not some wimpy wanna-be! I forgot to mention that I use the toothpick test to check for doneness, and as soon as the tester comes out clean, it's finished. It weighs like five pounds and takes hours to fully cool. More people ask for this recipe than any other cake I've ever made. It takes too long to transcribe, so now I'll just send 'em here!

Give it a shot sometime; you will not be disappointed.
samkom

Return to Bourbon Recipes