Bourbon Baked Beans

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

Bourbon Baked Beans

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:18 pm

Since Mike has mentioned my bourbon baked beans I thought I would share my "recipe" for them. Now you have to realise that I make them different every time because I learned to make them from trial and error. I never claimed to be a "chef" and recipes are not always something I find important to have when I cook. For bourbon baked beans that means it depends upon what I have on hand at the time when I make them as to how the final product comes out. What I will attempt to do here is to recreate the recipe for a large batch of beans for a party.

2 large cans of beans (I use Campbells or Van Camps, which ever is on sale at the time.
1 large Onion - Your choice of type of Onion

Empty the beans into a large foil lasagna pan and dice up the onion into medium size chunks and add to the beans. Go the fridge and see what looks like it will go good in beans. I usually add about a 1/4 cup each of ketchup, mustard (yellow and brown), Bar-b-que sauce, teryaki sauce, steaik sauce, worcestershire sauce and a dash or three of hot sauce. Mix all of this into the beans. If I have some cooked up I often will then add some sausage links into the mix. I then add some bourbon. I like Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond but Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, Old Grand Dad BinB are also some favorite bourbons to use. I add about a cup to a cup and a half of bourbon. Then cover the beans with a pound of bacon. I cover the bacon with about a 1/2 cup of brown suger and some maple syrup. Slow bake them at 350 degrees for at least 3 hours if you don't cover them. If you do cover them with foil make it at least 3 hours covered and another hour un-covered.

Serve them hot out of the oven or what I usually end up doing is cover the pan with foil, wrap the covered pan in newspaper and drive anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours or more to the party at the Lipmans. They are usually still very hot by the time I get there. Just remember, never take plates and such with you or the smell of the beans might tempt you to pull over before you get to the party and have a snack.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby brendaj » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Mike,
Thanks! I am so glad this one of the first few recipes for the new forum. I love these beans!
As a Kentuckian, I consider it my civic duty to drink Bourbon, smoke and bet the ponies. Its a tuff job, but someone has to do it...
brendaj

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:16 pm

brendaj wrote:Mike,
Thanks! I am so glad this one of the first few recipes for the new forum. I love these beans!

ima also loves dem beans! All that bacon; brown sugar, & bourbon = :hungry2: YUM :hungry2: YUM :eat_turkey: GOOD!
bunghole

Return to Bourbon Recipes