What to Drink with Low Country Boil

Cookin' in the kitchen with bourbon & Brenda! Come on in and view her recipes or share with us some of your own.

Moderator: Squire

What to Drink with Low Country Boil

Unread postby EllenJ » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Hey Georgia Mike, I need your help here! In a way that only a born-and-raised (or recently arrived) Savannahan can do...

I'm cooking up a Frogmore Stew for some friends and I need to know what to serve to drink with and around it. None of the on-line recipe sources appear to believe that Prohibition has ended, or should, for that matter. Do people in the low country drink bourbon with this dish? Or is beer more appropriate? Or even Southern Comfort or some kinda mixed drink (no, not White-Lightnin'-and-Red-Bull, even though that's probably most accurate these days).

Again, I'm not asking for what would be the best whiskey to serve, just what would be the most commonly found in that part of America.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Re: What to Drink with Low Country Boil

Unread postby jackie15 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:04 am

Thanks you for the tips.
jackie15

Unread postby Brady28 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 am

I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if this works for me Thanks and keep posting such a informative blogs.
Brady28

Unread postby Squire » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 am

Beer, specifically traditional American Lager, is the beverage of choice for Low Country cuisine.
Squire

Unread postby tball123 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Cannot have a low country boil without NUMEROUS cans of ice cold MillerLite ! After eating, we always wash them down with a couple Captain Morgan and cokes, with a squeeze of lime. Perfect meal.
tball123

Unread postby Redbeard » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 am

The low country boil is akin to a New England clam bake as mentioned and I recall that ice cold beer
was always in abundance at the ones I went to on the North East coast. Miller seemed to be the favorite choice though PBR was also common.
Remember the boil or bake was the reward of some rather hard work, often in high heat and humidity and that beer refreshes and satisfies a thirst very well.
A fine bourbon would however be a fine reward after the party is over, everything is cleaned up, and you are sitting on the porch with your feet up. Ah yes.
Redbeard

Return to Bourbon Recipes