what's up with jim murray???

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

what's up with jim murray???

Unread postby bourbonsnob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 pm

i want to believe there's an all-knowing whiskey god as much as the next person. But this man's writings perplex me. In his 2011 whiskey bible, he states that Pappy Van Winkle's 15 yr "has a nice balance of rye grains in the recipe" and something along the lines of "the rye notes picking up in the finish.' Isn't Pappy's 15 famous for being a wheated bourbon with no rye??? What's up with that? There are other strange things like comparing over 15 or so bottles/barrels of Blanton's. Why? Is that really necessary? I'd rather read about Black Maple HIll which he left out completely. So what's up with this guy?
bourbonsnob

Re: what's up with jim murray???

Unread postby bourbonsnob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

To be more specific he says "classic corn-rye whiskey with a bit of an edge..." "the mouth puckers with sharp rye..." "waves of juicy rye lap over the palate..."

I don't mean to hate on mr. murray, but isn't that first quote in particular flat out wrong? Am I crazy or is Pappy's famous for NOT being a classic corn-rye whiskey?
bourbonsnob

Re: what's up with jim murray???

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm

You are right about the Pappy 15yo. Julian has been known to use a traditional bourbon with rye in his 20 and 23 yo products, but not in the last decade.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion