Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby forumadmin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about BuffaloBill's review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby gillmang » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Very good review, thanks for this.

Gary
Vatman
gillmang
Vatman

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barrel

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 pm

i agree. i've been eyeing just any bottling of this...i have been pleased with all top shelf JDs so far...but still, the price always hurts...i might make the leap soon. as stated, nice tasting notes.
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Unread postby mozilla » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am

What labels do you consider to be top shelf Jack Daniels? I thought there was only one...Single Barrel? I don't think Gentleman Jack qualifies becuase of the extreme filtration that removes most of its body. Remember, Jack only makes one type of distillate.
mozilla

Re: Comments on BuffaloBill`s review of Jack Daniels Single Barr

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Outside of limited editions, JDSB is it. I haven't had any of the new L-Series yet, so if you decide to go it - write them in. Thanks for the complimentary notes here - BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Also - the JDSB R-15 has morphed one day later. It echoes Weller Centennial and fruit of the latest Baker's generation. I swear, if I were blindfolded the flavor of this bottle could have fooled me, but not the nose. Personally, I'd rather more caramel like the R-17, although that particular one showed peanuts after it was opened for sometime, regardless of nitrogen. This R-15 is becoming more like a Wheater with air. BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Here's something even more interesting... I just vatted some Maker's in with the JDSB. It's reminiscent of Michter's US-1. This is really good folks... BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Yes, but IIRC Michter's US-1 is terrible stuff.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 pm

I'M TALKING THE OLD STUFF. This 4J-3 bottling I have here is the bees-knees. Maple & Honey, huge. BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby azoth_melusina » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 pm

mozilla wrote:What labels do you consider to be top shelf Jack Daniels? I thought there was only one...Single Barrel? I don't think Gentleman Jack qualifies becuase of the extreme filtration that removes most of its body. Remember, Jack only makes one type of distillate.

well, with regards to JD, 'top shelf' to me means what it really shouldn't mean: price!

but i admit, i really enjoyed the GJ....i know it's just super filtered, but what arrives in the bottle is tasty...too tasty actually and is more like candy. but then so whas that similar (or same?) proof baby saz...too sweet in a good way. and same price. i think the saz is a much better value.

add to the JD 'top shelf' illusion is the commemorative 90 proof bottlings. i really enjoyed the '1981' bottle (the contents that is...same as the others i assume).

but due to the pricing, i have yet to jump on the truly high end topMOST shelf JD...the Single Barrel. i am sure, from what i hear, that when i try it, i will certainly find the few bottles of GJ and the one commemorative not all THAT impressive. or so i hope :blackeye:
"Whiskey is by far the most popular of all remedies that won't cure a cold." Jerry Vale
azoth_melusina

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 pm

I do believe that it's over-priced. The last bottle i purchased was $45. Up from $39. A bit much.... when $30 would be more like it. Once sales drop they'll figure it out, like everyone else. But the problem equals CONGLOMERATE. Our wonderfully merging planet - and wonderfully merging idiots who run it into the ground. Did someone say Wall Street? Yah, Global is good. A One World Toilet for the Elite. BB
BuffaloBill

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion