Dant 100 from Heaven Hill?

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Dant 100 from Heaven Hill?

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:36 am

I came across a dusty liter bottle of Dant 100 BIB produced by Heaven Hill for about $17. Was wondering how old it was... or whether I should chance it. Should I or shouldn't I ???

BB
BuffaloBill

Re: Dant 100 from Heaven Hill?

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:59 am

I couldn't find a date - that's why I was curious. The DSP was noted and it said Heaven Hill after it. I'll have to get the info again... thanks. BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:57 pm

I'll give the boys at the store a call tomorrow, have them look it up. I think is was a 31.

BB
BuffaloBill

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 pm

The Dant sold under United distillers was all old Bernheim distillation - in other words, before the remodelling of the distillery. The brand was sold to Heaven Hill in 1993 and there was never any Dant made at the new Bernheim distillery that only opened after the brand sale was started.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm

Inwould assume that the Dant made now is made by Heaven Hill or whoever is doing contract work for them. That would mean the Bernheim distillery or Brown-Forman or Beam or Barton - all of which has done contract distilling for Heaven Hill while they worked out the bugs at Bernheim. I am not sure off the top of my head who DSP 113 is right now so I can not answer your question.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Yes, Under Schenley the brand was made wherever ther was extra whiskey to be had. Most often in Frankfort (Stagg, Ancient Age, Blanton's... whatever name it was operating under at the time), but also from Bernheim. The brand was acquired in the 1950's by Schenley and was made in Gethsemane, Ky. Schenley closed that down in the early 60's. Dant was then produced using left over whiskey from other brands. When Schenley acquired the brand it was the number one selling bottled-in-bond whiskey in Kentucky. By the late 60's it was just another brand in their portfolio. It had ceased to be a unique mash bill and the whiskey was not unique. It was still good whiskey, but not the Dant of old.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Does anyone have any info on a Dant 10 year product? What years it was produced and by whom? I'm assuming it was a product from the 60's to possibly early 80's. I've seen pictures, but I have never seen any dusties of this particular expression around. Thanks!
drinkdrankdrunk

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion