Four Roses 120th Anniversary Barrel-Strength

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Four Roses 120th Anniversary Barrel-Strength

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Purchased at: Middle Tennessee
Purchased for: something less than the $68.54 retail
Proof Of this Bottle: 111.6 (Barrel #7-1J)
Nose: Brown sugar. Citrus peel -- kind of a cross between orange and lime. And there they lay, just like that, together.
Taste: Modicum of heat burns off relatively quickly, leaving (wait for it!) brown sugar, lightly caramelized, but not burnt. Trace of freshly-shelled walnuts near the back. Some baseball-glove leather (and, now that you've noticed it, a bit on the nose, too).
Finish: Ends dry, but not sharp. The brown sugar/caramel finally gets enough heat to turn into slightly-dark molasses. Medium-long, but pleasantly mouth-coating.
Overall: I like it. Think of a cross between Wild Turkey and Stitzel-Weller. Or, just very good Four Roses.
4Roses_120.jpg
4Roses_120.jpg (58.9 KiB) Viewed 3519 times
TNbourbon

Re: Four Roses 120th Anniversary Barrel-Strength

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 pm

Well, I left the last half-ounce or so in the glass for awhile -- oh, maybe 7-8 minutes -- while I went and dropped an ice cube in another glass and planned my next pour (some Weller S.R. and diet cola), then came back and finished the Four Roses. In the few minutes I was away, it turned all the way into what had previously been my major impression, both in nose and palate: granulated (in taste, of course) brown sugar.
Now, I don't know if you've ever taken a lump of brown sugar out of the sack and popped it into your mouth, or whether or not you liked it. I have, and I do! Same here.
TNbourbon

Re: Four Roses 120th Anniversary Barrel-Strength

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Tim, I always enjoy your unique take on bourbons. If a fellow, or gal, were to read only the reviews by Mike Veach, Bunghole, Bourbon Joe, TNbourbon, and Gillman, he or she would receive a great view into bourbondom. (Not that there aren't other good reviewers about, mind you).
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion