Comments on gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old

Unread postby forumadmin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:43 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about gillmang's review of Elijah Craig 12 year old;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:31 am

First bunghole, now you. May be time for me to give Elijah 12 (and even the 18 YO) another try after a year. When you are this positive about a bourbon, I just have to sse why. I always put a lot of stock in you reviews, Gary.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am

My problem with EC 12 was its inconsistency. Maybe things have changed (I hope so) but I'm still gun shy about buying another bottle of this stuff. I have, in the past , had some terrible bottles of this.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:20 am

Mike, thanks. I have felt this way for some time and mentioned it e.g., on the SB board. I agree at times in the past it has been less good but I have found the last few bottles purchased to be first rate. I would say, look for a bottle that is as recent as possible or issued in the last year, that will be your best bet.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Mike » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:38 pm

Gary, on your recommendation, I decided to try EC 12 again. I made sure I got a 'newer' release of this bourbon to try. I found your review to be right on the mark, this is a beautifully balanced bourbon that just skates across the mouth with great precision.

Fearing the 'John Lipman effect' (suggestability), I hauled out my old bottle (which was in the least accessible place in my whole kit and kabootle of bourbon) to see was I just being led down the bourbon primrose path.

No, the answer is no! The old EC 12, while not 'bad' as I said in my last review, is no where near the equal of this newer batch. The older EC has a slight off taste as if it is somehow 'tainted'. I can only describe it as somewhat sour.

The new EC 12 (to my palate) has a caramel, maple, nutty aroma, with just a tiny bit of leather, and a wonderful whiff of butterscotch that is most irresistable. All the while, the rye plays hide and seek and peek a boo.

I think your bow toward cognac is spot on. It has some of the subtlety of cognac and seems to me to be very old bourbon whose time in the barrel was very productive. Thanks for aiming me at the 'new' EC 12 YO! I will get another bottle or two at $17.99. A tremendous bargain as you said.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Mike, thanks, your notes describe very well the bottle I was referring to in my review, but more than that they give me comfort (as do Linn's notes) that there is something objective about this process called "bourbon reviewing". Enjoy the current EC 12, I believe it is the best all-round bourbon out there today - and the excellent price is perhaps an odd bonus from fate but also a testament to the regard HH has for its franchise. Only lately has HH gone for high prices (notably for the admittedly excellent Rittenhouse 21 and 23 year old ryes and the recent Parker's release) but that it has maintained the price point of EC 12 when the brand has reached (surely) its apogee is a sign of respect for its longstanding customer base. And I extend mine in return, although in fact I always admired HH. True, not every product it issued pleased, but most did, and today HH stands in my view in the top rank of distillers, maybe no. 1.

Gary
Last edited by gillmang on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Gary and Mike,
You have convinced me that I should try a glass of this the next time I am at the Bourbon's Bistro. If the sour finish is gone, it will be a good bourbon. For me I always liked the nose and initial taste of the Elijah Craig, but hated and was repulsed by the sour finish.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby whiskeyhatch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:42 pm

bourbonv wrote:Gary and Mike,
You have convinced me that I should try a glass of this the next time I am at the Bourbon's Bistro. If the sour finish is gone, it will be a good bourbon. For me I always liked the nose and initial taste of the Elijah Craig, but hated and was repulsed by the sour finish.

I hope that this is a sign of things to come. HH makes some really good bourbon (I've been a huge fan of EC 12 for about a year) but I have too often recognized that sour taste in a variety of their labels. Perhaps they've managed to correct this anomaly. I sure hope so. Anyway, I'm glad I read this.
Kevin
whiskeyhatch

Unread postby RogueHorseman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:My problem with EC 12 was its inconsistency. Maybe things have changed (I hope so) but I'm still gun shy about buying another bottle of this stuff. I have, in the past , had some terrible bottles of this.
Joe

I must have snagged one of those, Joe, which I just reviewed.

It is unlike anything I have ever tasted with the EC label on it, which spans the better part of a dozen bottles over the years.

This pour tasted very young and very flat in comparison to my past experiences which always ranged from good to excellent, but always with a distinguished flair. It literally seemed as if it were a different mashbill.

This bottle will be put aside for mixers only, unfortunately.
RogueHorseman

Unread postby bourbonv » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:13 pm

Gayle had this at the party last night and I will say it is very much improved, but for me there was still a slight hint of that "sorched corn oil" sourness in the finish. It was just a hint and was not repulsed by it, but it was there. I could drink this, but I would not purchase a bottle for myself.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Since Mike mentioned the party last night, I'll include a few pictures. It was the second annual Scorpiofest. Thanks to Gary and Libby Gilman from Canada, Doug, Mike, Kerry, Greg, Shay, Johnna, Charles, Abbie, Sherry. Lot's of good bourbons and food and fun.

Gayle
Attachments
fest13.JPG
fest13.JPG (144.29 KiB) Viewed 21509 times
fest10.JPG
fest10.JPG (155.76 KiB) Viewed 21511 times
fest9.JPG
fest9.JPG (144.36 KiB) Viewed 21506 times
fest7.JPG
fest7.JPG (147.61 KiB) Viewed 21502 times
fest6.JPG
fest6.JPG (136.95 KiB) Viewed 21501 times
fest5.JPG
fest5.JPG (143.1 KiB) Viewed 21501 times
fest4.JPG
fest4.JPG (146.46 KiB) Viewed 21501 times
fest2.JPG
fest2.JPG (148.46 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
Fest1.JPG
Fest1.JPG (137.11 KiB) Viewed 21497 times
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Nice pictures Gayle. Thanks. If you ever have a Capricorn Fest let me know. :roll:
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Go Scorpios… the most lovable, friendly easy going of all the sighs HAHAHAHA

Nov 6th

:occasion4:
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby Bucc58 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:17 pm

I really like the Evan Williams shirt. I am going to look for me one. I see there was some Yellowstone there. Does anyone like this pour? I have a bottle and I can't bring myself to drink anymore of it. Yuck. :?
Joe Young
Bucc58

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:36 pm

That was a bottle of real Yellowstone made in Shively and is an excellent drink.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Next

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion