Parker's Heritage Collection

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Parker's Heritage Collection

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 pm

MikeV will not be surprised to find I think this is a sibling to the 2006 William Larue Weller by Buffalo Trace.

Nose: Pretty rich caramel. More caramel. A fruitiness -- blackberries or black raspberries. Slightly burnt.

Palate: Touch of berries, then the burnt. Slightly scorched caramel fudge in a thick-bottomed pan. Fair amount of heat -- you'll get that at 122 proof -- but some water doesn't diminish the flavors and pads your bottle.

Finish: The finish is off-tart berries and caramel (no surprise). Medium-long to long. Fair amount of sweetness, an uptick of drying at the end.

Overall: At half the price and regular issues, I could amuse myself quite nicely with this whiskey. Unique, yet familiar. Good stuff.
Attachments
Parker HC.jpg
Parker HC.jpg (79.05 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Tim,
Larry Kass told me that he read my review and that I was wrong, it is not a wheated bourbon. That is what he told me. I think I was right the first time and that this is a wheated bourbon. Side by side tasting with William LaRue Weller are hard to tell apart when you mix the glasses up and taste blindly. Obviously there was a mix up in the bottles when they sent me my sample.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Two points:
  • No disrespect intended to Larry Kass, but if I have to choose who's less invested here, it would be you, Mike; and
  • although the berry notes I mention are unique to this whiskey, I find the burnt-caramel sense a commonality in high-proof wheaters, and almost non-existent in rye-recipe bourbons.

In short, I think you were right the first time and, pending you sampling a different bottle/version and changing your mind, Larry K. might be deflecting a little.

(Then again, I've been more wrong than right lately, so I'm fully prepared to drink Crow, if necessary...)
TNbourbon

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 am

Tim,
I appreciate your vote of confidence in my taste buds. I will have to get a bottle and try it. My problem there is the price - I think I can get two bottles of William LaRue Weller for the cost of one Parker's.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion