Wild Turkey American Spirit 15yo

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Wild Turkey American Spirit 15yo

Unread postby TNbourbon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 pm

I'm generally agnostic -- or, rather, extremely bi-polar -- about Wild Turkey products. I adore the defunct 12yo, export-only 8yo, and Tribute, and think the standard 101-proof (and even the 80-proof) are very fine examples of archetypal bourbon. However, I don't understand anyone's fascination with Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve (either the 101 or newer 90). The 101 rye's a steal.
So, I come to the new American Spirit 15yo with no pre-conceived notions -- I'll either like it or I won't.

Nose: The nose is a disappointment. It begins a bit manure-ish, with some leather and, eventually, a tinge of orange peel. Considering its opening, its subtlety is its best feature.

Palate: As noted in an earlier response to Mike, the taste progression here is backward, at least according to expectation: it opens pretty dry and leathery-sour, but sweetens at mid-palate and displays some sweet orange prior to swallow. Some 'chewing' suffuses the mouth with a very nice, oily mouthfeel, blending the flavor elements in an interesting cacophony of sweet & sour mix.

Finish: As 'minty' as any Wild Turkey I can remember, its power diminishes apace, but lingers on in hints of orange and leather. Call it medium.

Overall: I like it. I won't pay $88 for it again for personal consumption. Worth a taste, though, if only to broaden one's WT horizon.
Attachments
WT American Spirit15.jpg
WT American Spirit15.jpg (178.36 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
Last edited by TNbourbon on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNbourbon

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks for posting that photo, Tim. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it - a 100 proof bottled in bond Wild Turkey! Doesn't that make it the very first bonded Wild Turkey?

:arrow: ima :smilebox:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Mark » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks as well Tim for the photo and of course the review. If you don't mind I used your 2 photos in the database when i added them this morning but gave you the credit for them of course! Anytime anyone needs a bottle added to the database just ask me and if you can send me a photo as well and I'll use it.
-=_Mark_=-
Mark
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby TNbourbon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Mark wrote:...If you don't mind I used your 2 photos in the database when i added them this morning but gave you the credit for them of course!..

That's fine, Mark.
And, Linn, I think you are correct -- I, too, am unaware of another BIB WT.
TNbourbon

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion