Most reviewed products

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Most reviewed products

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:01 am

I was just looking at the whiskey reviews and I noticed the most reviewed brand is Buffalo Trace. There are a couple that ar very close such as Old Grand Dad and Knob Creek, but Buffalo Trace leads the pack right now at 16 reviews. I find the number of reviews done by brand interesting. The fact that Old Grand Dad has 14 reviews with Old Grand Dad 114 close behind at 9 reviews show that there is a lot of interest in the brand by people who love bourbon. It gives me some hope that the people at Jim Beam will take some notice of this fact and maybe spend some money on Old taylor as well. I would like to see them come out with an 8 yo Bottled in Bond Old Taylor as premium brand bourbon.

Other brands that have been reviewed frequently include Elmer T Lee, Russell Reserve, Ridgemont Reserve, Woodford Reserve, and several of the Van Winkle products. What would be nice to see now would be multiple reviews of some more of the lower priced products. Even the lower priced products play an important role in the overall bourbon experience. Jim Beam white, Evan Williams, Very Old Barton, Early Times and other such brands sell millions of cases a years combined and help pay the bills for the distilleries. Most people purchasing these brands do so to mix in a cocktail - usually bourbon and coke - but that too is an important segment of the bourbon experience. Maybe a tasting notes should include the flavor when mixed in a cocktail.

We are at 727 reviews and Bob set the goal at 1,000 by October anf the third Birthday of the site. Keep up the good work people but don't forget the lower priced bourbons in your reviews.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Martian » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Mike, I totally agree. In addition to OGD, I have found some other inexpensive bourbons that I really enjoy, like J.W. Dant BIB and Very Old Ezra 101 7 Yr. Both are $15 or less.
Martian

Agree.....

Unread postby ggilbertva » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am

Mike,

I use BE quite often to see what others are saying about a particular bourbon but often the review doesn't exist or is a little dated. I love bourbon but am not paticularily adept at calling out the various and subtle characteristics of the bourbon (e.g. dried fruit, maple, chocolate, etc.). I have on ocassion picked up on some characteristics like mint, vanilla of course, carmel corn, wood, etc., but I view those as more dominant in a bourbon and I should be picking those things up anyway. I would add my own reviews but think they would be of little value to anyone reading it as my review would be somewhat limited. In any case, I agree with your comments in that it would be very beneficial to see some review on the lower priced offerings. I have a number of bottles in my bunker that I have not actually tried (e.g. Very Old Barton, J.T.S. Brown, Old Bourbon Hollow to name a few) and would like to read some impressions prior to tasting a particular brand. I'm still new to the whole bourbon thing but will certainly try to contribute where I can.
ggilbertva

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:53 am

Very Old Barton is one of my favorite bargain brands. It is also very good for cooking. I like it in food because it is a flavorfull bourbon that contributes to the flavor of the food and is not overpowered by other tastes. J T S Brown and Bourbon Hollow are not bad products, just young bourbons with some new whiskey whang. Great for mixing in coke or a highball but not something you are going to want to enjoy with a meal. You might drink them neat on a fishing trip or while camping in the woods, but I would prefer something like Old Forester or Old Grand Dad for that.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion