E.H. Taylor Trio - An Informal Comparison

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

E.H. Taylor Trio - An Informal Comparison

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:50 pm

First a big shout out and a hardy thank you to Bourbon Joe for affording me these fine samples.

The E. H. Taylor Trio:

1) 134.5 Barrel Proof - 7 years old
2) Single Barrel BIB - 100 proof - 12 years old
3) "Tornado" Small Batch - 100 proof - 9.5 to 11+ years of age.

Color: Damn near identical. I give the edge to the 'Tornado' being a shade darker. All are just a beautiful glowing copper hued amber when held up to sunlight. Warm and inviting just Lovely; Lovely, Lovely.

Viscosity: Barrel Proof has the sexiest legs, but I wouldn't kick the others out of bed. Plenty oily - thick.

Nose: Sweet. Both in corn and in malted barley. The Barrel Proof really stands out with toasted marshmellows over an white oak char campfire. The 12 year old is most complex and sports vanila and green apple top notes. The 'Tornado' is rather elusive with a well amalgamated nose that is as coy as she is sweet. I'd have to live with a bottle of this to really get a handle on it.

Flavor: As sweet as the nose is, the dominant trait is a remarkably tart black cherry pie in a graham cracker crust. There is also a bite of apple, a little vanila, subdued sweet charred oak. I'd have to live with all three for quite some time to really pull them apart.

Finish: All three exhibit a drying oaken decay. The tartness comtinues. Nothing spicey or pepper heat. Very Pleasent Indeed.

Overall:
The 'Tornado' has the softest mouthfeel and is the easiest drinking of the trio. She's an Easy Lover.
The Single Barrel is the most sophisticated of the three. A delightfully poised ballerina that dances gracefully in your mouth.
The Barrel Proof is a bar slut. Don't try to change her or waste your time trying to figure her out - just enjoy her as she is and remember her fondly after she is gone.

Saint :angel7: Bunghole
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Re: E.H. Taylor Trio - An Informal Comparison

Unread postby Mike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Great notes from a great reviewer!

Thanks bunghole, you have a way with words and we are glad to once more be treated to your use of them.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Re: E.H. Taylor Trio - An Informal Comparison

Unread postby bunghole » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Mike wrote:Great notes from a great reviewer!

Thanks bunghole, you have a way with words and we are glad to once more be treated to your use of them.

Thanks for your kind words, Mike, they are much appreciated. :)

Saint :angel7: Bunghole
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion