newby collector questions

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

newby collector questions

Unread postby flintlock » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:29 am

Hello - thanks for this great resource.

As a newly minted bourbon lover coming over from Scotch :cherry: (can't believe it took me 45 years to get here, but oh well) I want to try to snag some great older bottles. Ebay is covered up with bourbon, but I have no idea at all of prices. What is a rip off - what is a bargain? Is there any online or published source for this information?

Secondly, how can I become rich by buying and selling old bourbon? :D

Thirdly, I asked about shipping whiskey at the local shipping facility, and they said they carefully look for alcohol in any shipment and stop as much of it as they can, as it means a $20,000 fine if they're caught shipping alcohol. If I buy whiskey on an online source from another private person, how risky is it for him to ship it to me? How risky is it for me to receive it?

Thanks for any help.
flintlock

Re: newby collector questions

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:19 am

Well I'm glad to hear that you've come in from the Dark Side! :D

You might want to read Chuck post here about some possible problems in being a booze collector. His is the last post so far in the thread. Hopefully this link will take you to it.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7085&p=35619#p35619

Also, here's a real and true way of getting rich by selling old booze. I know it's an authentic method as an old codger who died penniless whispered it into my ear as his last breaths took him to the beyond. Start, by buying up cases of all the best stuff, money be no object. Place said likker in a good cellar. Not one that will leak water or vapors. When you have collected a hundred cases of the best, seal up that cellar. Then after you've stepped into the beyond, perhaps your children, or their children will someday notice the old walled up part of the cellar, and decide to find out what's behind the wall.

And boy will they be happy! :D
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Pirate762 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:40 pm

You MAY get rich at some time by selling and trading good, rare, bourbons. You WILL enrich your life by enjoying them.... one pour at a time.

MHO,

Jim
Pirate762

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:22 pm

I don't think ebay is really the best place to start. I would say go to some of the local stores. Maybe you can talk them into ordering stuff. Ebay is more just for entertainment.
PaulO

Return to Collector's Corner