rare whiskey?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

rare whiskey?

Unread postby captahab » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Although I am not a whiskey enthusiast, I recently acquired an unopened bottle of Frankfort Distilleries Antique Straight Rye Whiskey 100 proof. The bottle is still in a what appears to be a tin and cardboard container that is stamped on top "Sealed for Safety, Registered U.S. Patent Office, No 1732059, Oct. 15, 1929, Frankfort Distilleries Incorporated, Louisville, Ky. - Baltimore, Md." The back of the container has a cardboard pullout that allows yu to view the stamp on the bottle inside. The stamp indicates it was made in Spring 1930 and bottled in Spring 1936. On the front of the container it indicates it was bottled at the Baltimore facility. I would appreciate any information as to the rarity and value of this find. Will be glad to send pictures upon request.
captahab

Re: rare whiskey?

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:04 pm

I can't put a price on that bottle but I'll bet that it is some fine Rye Whiskey. The whiskies that I've tasted from this period have been stunning.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Re: rare whiskey?

Unread postby cowdery » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:55 am

It's interesting because it was distilled during Prohibition (very little was) and sold afterward in packaging similar to Prohibition-era medicinal whiskey packaging. Frankfort was in Louisville by that time (odd as that sounds) and was making primarily Four Roses Bourbon. The distiller was either Joe Beam or one of his sons or grandsons. Soon thereafter the distillery and both the Four Roses and Antique brands would be sold to Seagrams. It's considered post-Prohibition, since it was bottled in 1936. Fully aged whiskey was still pretty scarce in 1936, so a 6-year-old BIB straight rye would indeed have been something special.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Collector's Corner