Need Help & Information on Grandpa's Bottle. PLZ HELP!!

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Need Help & Information on Grandpa's Bottle. PLZ HELP!!

Unread postby EnvyOurPast » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 pm

As of 3 weeks ago, both of my Grandparent's have now passed. I would often go to their house everyday to keep them company and hear a great old story from time to time. One story I remember was that my grandpa had been given a bottle of whiskey as a Christmas present from somebody who used to help cut tobacco for him. I thought this was very odd because neither of Grandparents drink, or atleast not anymore since he had a brain tumor in the mid-70's. I was never shown the bottle and neither asked to see it because that's just not the kind of relationship we had. But since now they have passed, we are going through their things and ran upon the bottle. It is a bottle of Very Old Barton. On the Label it says: 86 Proof, 8 Years Old, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Distilled and Bottled By Bourbon Distilling Company, Bardstown, KY. Hand Crafted. Marked on the back of the bottle it says 200 ml. (6.8 fl. oz.). And on the Bottom of the Bottle it is marked: Liquor Bottle 55 4 82. It has a Stamp that says: Bureau of ATF, Spirits, Bottle Stamp, Bureau of ATF, Distilled

Here are some pictures I took of it today. Bare with me because I have never posted Images before so I hope they show up

If anybody could tell me how old it is or if it has any kind of value other than being my grandpa's. Don't be shy!! My mom, brother, and I have been trying to find information on it but not having much luck. All we are finding is bottles that was 6 Years Old, nothing about 8 years old like the bottle here.
Thanks
EnvyOurPast

Re: Need Help & Information on Grandpa's Bottle. PLZ HELP!!

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 am

First off I'm not the dusty expert here. You did good with the pictures the best clue you have there is the "Fake" tax stamp which were used for a tamper proof thing not a tax stamp. But that dates your bottle to the early 90's. Your bourbon is not valuable although you may get an offer from someone to buy it because it is good bourbon. Very Old Barton is not expensive bourbon it's upper bottom shelf bourbon. Being bourbon from the 90 this is going to be very good if you like bourbon I would drink this in your grandfathers honor. But your not going to get a lot of money for this. If someone else has a different opinion chime in.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby EnvyOurPast » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 pm

p_elliott wrote:First off I'm not the dusty expert here. You did good with the pictures the best clue you have there is the "Fake" tax stamp which were used for a tamper proof thing not a tax stamp. But that dates your bottle to the early 90's. Your bourbon is not valuable although you may get an offer from someone to buy it because it is good bourbon. Very Old Barton is not expensive bourbon it's upper bottom shelf bourbon. Being bourbon from the 90 this is going to be very good if you like bourbon I would drink this in your grandfathers honor. But your not going to get a lot of money for this. If someone else has a different opinion chime in.

I definetly appreciate your intake, but I think I might disagree. I would be the first to admit I know absoutetly nothing about alcohol or the history of the dates and markings on the bottle and that what stings me to question your intake. But I told my Mom what you had said and she knows that he got it in the 70's because that's when he had to quit cutting tobacco because of his brain tumor (he got it as a present from a guy that helped him cut tobacco) and she still lived with Grandpa and Grandma when he got it. But who knows, she could be mistaking and you hit it right on the dot. Either way thanks for some input. Heck if it comes down to it, I'll just go to the factory. I live less than 30 minutes away from it.
EnvyOurPast

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:41 pm

If you had taken time to read the sticky post above you would have gotten your answer. The fact that it has a real tax stamp for non-bonded bourbon places it before 1984 and de-regulation of the industry. and the fact that it has both satandard and metric measurements on the bottle would place it in the transition period of 1979-1980.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby EnvyOurPast » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:29 pm

bourbonv wrote:If you had taken time to read the sticky post above you would have gotten your answer. The fact that it has a real tax stamp for non-bonded bourbon places it before 1984 and de-regulation of the industry. and the fact that it has both satandard and metric measurements on the bottle would place it in the transition period of 1979-1980.

I read it, but like I said I'm no expert and am only 21 years old. To tell you the truth I had never heard of a tax stamp let alone there being fake ones. Same goes with bonded and non-bonded, I don't know what all that stuff is. I drink Coke where all you do is just pop the top! haha. Thanks for clearing everything up for me. What about it being 8 years old instead of the traditional 6 Years old? I couldn't find much on that either.
EnvyOurPast

Unread postby p_elliott » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 am

bourbonv wrote:If you had taken time to read the sticky post above you would have gotten your answer. The fact that it has a real tax stamp for non-bonded bourbon places it before 1984 and de-regulation of the industry. and the fact that it has both satandard and metric measurements on the bottle would place it in the transition period of 1979-1980.

Like I said I'm not the dusty expert on here. I was reading a post on how to read tax stamps and was relaying that info to him. It didn't have serial numbers or dates so I thought it was a fake tax stamp I guess I learned something.
p_elliott

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Only the green tax tax stamps for bonded whiskey have dates and distillery information. The red ones are for non-bonded products, but are still printed by the IRS. The fake ones are generally a simple red or green strip without anything on them mentioning the Internal Revenue Service.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby p_elliott » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 am

bourbonv wrote:Only the green tax tax stamps for bonded whiskey have dates and distillery information. The red ones are for non-bonded products, but are still printed by the IRS. The fake ones are generally a simple red or green strip without anything on them mentioning the Internal Revenue Service.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Mike
p_elliott

Return to Collector's Corner