Mill Farm-Guggenheim and Wortz

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Mill Farm-Guggenheim and Wortz

Unread postby alex » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm trying to track down some historical information regarding a cheap whiskey that myself and friends used to drink in the late 60's at the University of Florida. It was called Mill Farm and I believe the distiller was Guggenheim and Wortz or something similar. We drank it because it was all could afford-not because we liked it. Any information would be appreciated.
alex

Re: Mill Farm-Guggenheim and Wortz

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:20 am

There was a Guggenheimer Distillery in Cincinnati in about 1900, but the better known name is Guckenheimer, which is still around as a blended whiskey brand owned, I think, by Heaven Hill. If it was the cheapest stuff you could find, chances are it was a blend. Guckenheimer was originally a Pennsylvania straight rye.

There also was a Canadian distillery called Gooderham and Worts, which might well have had a brand called Mill Farm. I'm tending to favor that theory, or even that somewhere along the way you substituted "Guckenheimer" for "Gooderham." Canadian whiskey would have also been a good cheap choice in the late 60s.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Re: Mill Farm-Guggenheim and Wortz

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Not sure about Mill Farm, but Gooderham & Worts was located on Mill Street in Toronto. I believe Corby's bought them (or at least the brand name) in the early '90s.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Return to Collector's Corner