Black Gold w/ Prescription

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Black Gold w/ Prescription

Unread postby Veritas » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Got this bottle from some friends for Christmas... I had been looking for a Prohibition prescription for a few years now and finally got one... It is Black Gold 18yr from the Sunny Brook Distillery - and was bottled by the American Medical Spirits Company - which I'm guessing was did all of the bottling during Prohibition.

Please correct my assumptions here if they are wrong - as I'm trying to learn as much as I can...

The tax stamp is nearly gone - but the bottom date is 1913 - which I believe is the bottled date. Considering it is 18 year old whiskey that would mean the distillation date would be 1895. The prescription was written on 10-23-31. It seems odd that this bottle would have sat around for another 18 years before being consumed... I can't imagine it being refilled and used again and again... any thoughts on this?

Also for preservation - the prescription is in pretty rough shape and pated on the back of the bottle (but slowly detaching). Would it be a good idea to remove the prescription and preserve it better - would that hurt the value to the bottle (if any)?

Image Image Image Image Image

Thanks,

Kevin
Veritas

Re: Black Gold w/ Prescription

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm

The bottom date is the distillation date. This bottle is from prohibition and was bottled in 1931 since it was 18yo whiskey.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Black Gold w/ Prescription

Unread postby Veritas » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:17 pm

Thank you sir!

Kevin
Veritas

Return to Collector's Corner