I'm hoping to learn about this bottle.

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

I'm hoping to learn about this bottle.

Unread postby bignfat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I just happend upon this bottle in our basement and my google skills failed to turn up any info. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me anything about it. If you can't see the pic well enough it's a "4/5 quart 86 proof kentucky straight bourbon whiskey aged 180 months bottled by james b. beam distilling co., clermont beam kentucky." The bottle is made out of "genuine regal china." I think it was bottled in around 1970. The bottle has a new hampshire theme.

Do you think it's safe to drink?
bignfat

Re: I'm hoping to learn about this bottle.

Unread postby drinkdrankdrunk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Safe to drink....probably. Good.....only one way to find out. Decant the contents into a clear bottle or decanter and if it is cloudy it is more than likely tainted. If not drink up. As for the bottle, you might be able to make a couple bucks on ebay. Empty of course.
drinkdrankdrunk

Unread postby p_elliott » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 am

They say the old Beam is good stuff I've never had it but give it a go. Watch the cork it will probably fall apart on you so when you decant into another container if the cork has fallen a part strain the bourbon through a fine mesh metal strainer or coffee filter. Nobody likes chunks of cork and it will ruin your bourbon.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby independant » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:12 pm

p_elliott wrote:They say the old Beam is good stuff I've never had it but give it a go. Watch the cork it will probably fall apart on you so when you decant into another container if the cork has fallen a part strain the bourbon through a fine mesh metal strainer or coffee filter. Nobody likes chunks of cork and it will ruin your bourbon.

I am going to add I have always been told to use a brown coffee filter because the bleach that they use in the white coffee filters can seep into the bourbon. I have only ever had one cork break on me and used a brown filter but better safe then sorry.
independant

Unread postby bignfat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:36 pm

independant wrote:
p_elliott wrote:They say the old Beam is good stuff I've never had it but give it a go. Watch the cork it will probably fall apart on you so when you decant into another container if the cork has fallen a part strain the bourbon through a fine mesh metal strainer or coffee filter. Nobody likes chunks of cork and it will ruin your bourbon.

I am going to add I have always been told to use a brown coffee filter because the bleach that they use in the white coffee filters can seep into the bourbon. I have only ever had one cork break on me and used a brown filter but better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the advice. To my luck it has a screw on cap so that won't be an issue. Also my google skills yielded results after about an hour or so. It's part of beams regal china sereies and referred to as the new hampshire golden eagle bottle. People are paying between $20 and $30 for it but no one has made any claims as to the deliciousness of the drink. I'll just have to find that out myself.

I very recently turned 21 so I'm not all that much an expert with a decanter nor do I even own one. Would anyone be able to share some tips on decantering a bourbon. Also should the drinking glass have a wide top? I think I might just toast the new year with this.
bignfat

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:00 pm

In my opinion, there is only one glass to enjoy bourbon with.

Gayle
Attachments
BS Glencairn.jpg
BS Glencairn.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 9344 times
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby bignfat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:In my opinion, there is only one glass to enjoy bourbon with.

Gayle

I think this is a sign. I actually met someone from the bourbon society last night. I was stopping by a local liquor store to grab some food to snack on and there was a whine tasting. Having just found this bottle of bourbon I asked the man hosting it if he might know anything about it. He mentioned that he was a member of the bourbon society and to check there site. Maybe I'll poney up that $100 membership fee after all.
bignfat

Unread postby silverfish » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Bourbon HQ wrote:In my opinion, there is only one glass to enjoy bourbon with.

No link as to where one might obtain such a glass?
I visited the BS site but the last blog post was Aug. 21, 2009
and I didn't see the Glencairn glass listed at the store.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby bourbonv » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:16 pm

To get a Bourbon Society glass, simply join the Bourbon Society and you will receive a free glass. We then offer extra glasses to members for a cost of $10.00 a glass.

If you are looking for Glencairn glasses, Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill sell them in their gift shop. I have not been to Beam for a long time, but I know they have Knob Creek Glencairn glasses, so they probably sell them at their Cleremont gift shop. The glasses are usually about $7.00 in the gift shops.

A brandy snifter also makes a very good tasting glass, so use one of those to toaste your New Year in tonight. The Beam will be rather tasty and with the screw cap, you don't need to worry about decanting it.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:44 am

THat will be great juice at 180 months. I drink the older Beams all the time and when the decanter has a screw cap... they have all been good.

You can pick up Glencairns on eBay as well after you get your Bourbon Soociety one :D

Best glasses hands downs and enjoy that juice...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby PaulO » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:20 am

I believe you have found a better than average Beam bottle, as for bottle collecting. There was a series of all fifty states. :)
PaulO

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm

I have a full 1977 Executive series "Golden Jubilee" Beam decanter that is a "185 Months" bottling. It's still full and I keep wanting to pop it open. Also, I have had 2 Michter's decanters start leaking on me and I removed the whiskey from them and stored it in 2 Ball jars in the fridge. Is this the best way to keep it good or should I not refrigerate it?
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby p_elliott » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:32 am

There is no need to refrigerate bourbon but by the same token it won't hurt it either unless it hasn't been chill filtered then it may get cloudy. Cloudy doesn't hurt the bourbon it's just not as pleasant to look at.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby emr454 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 pm

I bought a screw top Beam decanter over the summer. It was one of the Lockhart series with a picture of a canvasback duck on it. The first couple sips I had out of it were good, but after a week or so it got musty and really unpleasant. On the other hand, I had some out of a decanter with a rubber stopper and it was great. Luck of the draw I guess!

Eric
emr454

Return to Collector's Corner