Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby Bourbon HQ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:24 am

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Drink it!
Bourbon HQ

Unread postby KarinA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:31 pm

KarinA wrote:I would like to know an aproximate value of a full un-opened bottle of William Penn American Rye Whiskey? It is sealed with the tax stamp dated 1927 in Ottowa Canada. It is also in its original cardboard box. It is in VERY good condition for its age. Also, what is the best way to sell something like this?

Thank you.

Ok...let me ask a different way. The bottle does not belong to me, it belongs to my boss. I was given the task of trying to find out what it is worth. If no one on this forum knows, can you direct me to someone who might? I dont need an exact value, just a ballpark would do. Is there a price guide for old Whiskey? If so, I have not yet found it on the internet. Could someone direct me that way? Thank you. :-)
KarinA

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 pm

As we have posted elsewhere in this forum, there is no market for old whiskey because it is illegal to sell it without a license. with that said there people who sell on ebay and the taxmen look the other way for the most part. I would estimate that a bottle of that vintage would sell for $100.00 or so on ebay. If it was brand that was produced today it might go for more, but probably no more than twice that amount.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby KarinA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Thank you.
KarinA

Unread postby davep » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:53 pm

I have a full and unopened bottle of old crow ( a fifth ) , the mo. TAX stamp that goes over the top of the bottle is dated 1917 , it has a card board type sleeve and paper-machea in the ends , and was wondering what it would be worth , it is coming up on 100 Years old & it is prepro. ???? any info on the value and who would be perspective buyer would be gratly appreciated ......... thanks Davep..........p2914@netzero.net
davep

Unread postby cth1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I have a sealed bottle of wild turkey beyond duplication 12 year old in a wooden box. i'm having trouble finding any information on it. i'm not sure how to tell when it was released or it's worth if any. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
cameron
cth1

Unread postby thegumphouse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 am

I have a bottle of OLD GRAND DAD 86 proof whiskey I think it is a 1 gallon on a rocker never been opened I think the tax stamps is from the early 60,, I remember as a child that my dad won this at a bar. he paid $5.00 back then and wrote his name on a card in a deck of cards and won this I have had it for aprox 40 years and have never had a clue to what it might be worth.. any help as to what it is worth would be great.. Thank you...
thegumphouse

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:37 pm

thegumphouse wrote:I have a bottle of OLD GRAND DAD 86 proof whiskey I think it is a 1 gallon on a rocker never been opened I think the tax stamps is from the early 60,, I remember as a child that my dad won this at a bar. he paid $5.00 back then and wrote his name on a card in a deck of cards and won this I have had it for aprox 40 years and have never had a clue to what it might be worth.. any help as to what it is worth would be great.. Thank you...

About $100-125. I have bought similar bottles for that... I bought a OGD BIB and Four Roses for $125 each.
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby tonka521 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a bottle of "Very Xtra Old" Old Fitzgerald. Barrelled in 1957 & bottled in 1967. Sealed an in very good condition. No evaporation. This item could be for sale if the price is right! Photos upon request.
Thank you
tonka521

Unread postby cowdery » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:46 pm

People who post here would benefit from reading the sticky notes at the top of this forum. You don't necessarily have to read every reply, just the note that starts the thread.

The high points are:

-- It is illegal to sell alcohol without a license.
-- Because of the underground nature of spirits reselling, accurate predictions of a given bottle's value are impossible to make.
-- Even bottles that are 'worth something' are, at best, worth a couple hundred dollars. You won't send your kids to college by selling the contents of grandpa's liquor cabinet.
-- The only significant marketplace is eBay.
-- If people here are sometimes testy in their replies it is because posters typically do not show the minimal courtesy of checking to see if their question has already been answered, which in most cases it has.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby robrien » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 pm

How much is this worth? Platte Valley bought on my honeymoon June 1967. Its in a small jug unopened (26 oz), with tax seal and mfg seal intact. So it is at least 46 years old (43 yrs in my possession and 3 year aged)
robrien

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Not very much IMO. It was pretty lousy whiskey back then and it is still made (and still lousy). But, just cause I don't like it don't mean that others won't. Just my 2 cents.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby jd1176 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

I have a bottle of Old Puritan Whiskey. It is an unopened bottle with the seal and the label in good condition. All the investigating I have done seems to show that it is a pre 1919 bottle. I am looking for someone to possibly tell me more about the company, and perhaps how rare or valuable it may be. Thank you.
jd1176

Unread postby addicts » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Hello to All, I recently acquired a small horde of pre prohibition whiskey and scotch. The cornerstone of the stash are two full and sealed demijohns/carboys of Hannisville Rye Whiskey, distilled 1911, bottled in demijohns 1922 100 proof and Mt. Vernon Rye Whiskey, distilled 1919, bottled in demijohns 1922. 93 proof. Any idea of what they would be worth. Is anybody interested in them and how does one safely ship something like this. Thanks for any and all advice.
addicts

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:52 am

Demijohns are impossible to ship. They were meant to rest quietly and you siphon from them. What kind of case surrounds the demijohns?

Pictures would be useful.

btw, it's illegal to sell alcohol in the US without a license, even old tax-paid alcohol.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

PreviousNext

Return to Collector's Corner