Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 am

I personally don't mind if the question is asked as to how much a bottle is worth. I do not like people jumping down someone's throat when they do it - it is rather uncalled for and unfriendly. I have decided that the best way to handle this is to create a forum and make it a sticky so people wanting to know what their bottle is worth can ask here. In theory as the different brands are called for, people can come here and get an idea of value. If you don't like the question then simply ignore this forum.

Now for those who wish to know how their bottle is worth, you should read the other stickies about bottle value and age. Please do that before going any further. After that you should realise that selling alcohol without a license is illegal and this site does not encourage you to that. In fact this site encourages you to "Drink it, man, DRINK IT" to quote bunghole. You should also realise that because of the illegality of selling spirits without a license, a bottle is never going to be worth the big bucks. Bourbon Collectors do it because they want to experience the older bourbon and rye whiskeys, not as an investment. It would be a very rare bottle that would bring more than a couple of hundred dollars. Don't be suprised or offended when we tell you that bottle is not worth much. It is also helpfull to attach photographs of the bottle. You don't need to include every little feature, but a shot of the front and back so we can see the labeling is very useful.

I should add that nobody here is a professional so their appraisal would not hold up in a tax court. In fact since many here might be considered potential customers, it would be a conflict of interest to make an appraisal.

With that said, then please feel free to ask "How Much is my bottle of ____ worth?" here.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Re: Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby MPalmer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:38 am

35 Year Old Unopened Collector BottlesI have two bottles of Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon with Lockhart artwork ducks flying into the air in the center circle. Appartenlty they are some kind of special collectors edition. I acquired them about 25 years ago from a friend. I do not know how long he had them. THe label says 10 years old. So, these are at least 35 to 40 years old. This year I have begun drinking one...outstanding and quite smooth. THe other is still sealed.

Any idea what the unopened one might be worth?
MPalmer

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 am

I would say the bottle is probably a $40.00 bottle on ebay if a duck hunter is bidding on it. I would recommend drinking it as you said the first one was a very good drink. You would probably get more enjoyment out of the bourbon than you would cash. (You can always try selling the empty on ebay to that collector of Duck Hunting items.)
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:53 am

Mike

I think this is a good idea to solve this problem, I would like to add one thing to what you said or may be you could ad it your statement: Don't be surprised or hurt if you don't get answer because we simple may not have any idea what your bottle is worth. and: Pictures are helpful.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

I am glad you like this solution. Your sugggestions are good and I will edit the initial post to add them. I decided that something had to be done. I see no reason why people can not ask what a bottle is worth in the Collector's Corner. I really don't like it when people get rude with people who do ask - it makes us all look like a**holes to a new viewer. Besides, sometimes I actually enjoy knowing what is out there and sometimes they do have an interesting bottle I would like to see.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby T Comp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

bourbonv wrote: I see no reason why people can not ask what a bottle is worth in the Collector's Corner. I really don't like it when people get rude with people who do ask - it makes us all look like a**holes to a new viewer. Besides, sometimes I actually enjoy knowing what is out there and sometimes they do have an interesting bottle I would like to see.

I might as well jump in with my first post here as this is something I totally agree with. Though I have acquired some dusties that I'm sure have some worth, I have not or ever will ask about it, as they are 100% for drinking, sharing or if it has to be even passing down (hopefully a long time away). I'm also somewhat bothered by the whole E-Bay thing though when I think about it harder, why should I be. Ultimately the worth of an old bottle should have something to do with its taste, history or pedigree and for that I am interested. I am also a big believer in respect and civility, so applaud this attempt at it, even if it takes an effort towards people who may care less about what we love.
T Comp

Unread postby independant » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:52 am

I am going to throw my two cents in here. To the best of my knowledge I have never flamed someone for asking how much a bottle is worth but I agree with some on here that say this is not the place to come to find out the value of their bottle.
This should be a place to share information and thoughts about bourbon not a stop before the bottle goes on ebay.
I love to hear about great finds and to see pictures of the bottles and hear the history associated with said bottle but I don't condone making this site a price guide for people looking to make a buck selling their bourbon illegally.
independant

Unread postby p_elliott » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 am

independant wrote:I am going to throw my two cents in here. To the best of my knowledge I have never flamed someone for asking how much a bottle is worth but I agree with some on here that say this is not the place to come to find out the value of their bottle.
This should be a place to share information and thoughts about bourbon not a stop before the bottle goes on ebay.
I love to hear about great finds and to see pictures of the bottles and hear the history associated with said bottle but I don't condone making this site a price guide for people looking to make a buck selling their bourbon illegally.

Dan

While I tend to agree with you, I also tend to agree with with Mike that we were making ourselves out to be A##holes to potential new members although most of these people only post 1 to 4 times. This is a compromise this gives them a place to ask without being flamed. If members don't want to respond they are not under any obligation to do so but if they do please be nice. If you don't like people asking how much is my bottle worth just ignore this thread all together. I for one wouldn't have a clue what an old bottle is worth any how other than to drink.
Last edited by p_elliott on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby silverfish » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:31 am

independant wrote:"... not a stop before the bottle goes on ebay.

Exactly. While I'm a relative newcomer here, the above is
the impression I got whenever I saw a "how much" inquiry
posted.

Over on the whisky.com forums there seem to be numerous
value inquries and the first response if almost always from
Jojo the editor who replies that the group is happy to help
date the bottle (if you provide images) but as for value,
"...please contact mctears.com or bonhams.com ". I'd maybe
amend that to add "The completed auctions function on ebay
is also a good place to start."

independant wrote:I love to hear about great finds and to see pictures of the bottles and hear the history associated with said bottle but I don't condone making this site a price guide for people looking to make a buck selling their bourbon illegally.

Agreed. There a world of difference between an active member
with 100+ posts asking about the value of a bottle they've found
or received and a first time poster asking for an appraisal. But if
that is to be the purpose of this thread, I've no complaints. We
can either choose to visit and comment or simply ignore it all together.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby PaulO » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 am

One item that turns up often are the different Jim Beam collectors bottles. Most are not worth more than $5. These were quite popular back in the 1960s, '70s and '80s. There are maybe a dozen that are worth more.
Sometimes people have full Beam commemoratives. If the contents are in good condition, then you have some whiskey that is likely nicer than current Beam white label. On the other hand these bottles have sometimes been known to get corky from the stopper. I have heard the ceramic containers also eventually give the whiskey a bad taste. Most of the commemoratives are glass containers. So, in most cases a full Beam commerative bottle would be worth whatever 750ml of midshelf bourbon is worth (if it is still good) and maybe $3-$5 for the bottle. Ebay usually has a lot of these. A quick check can usually determine if a particular pattern is scarce or common.
PaulO

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Here is my put. If someone asks about their bottle and takes the time to inquire with images, I tend to tell them, based on what I know, what something is worth in relative terms.

This usually is limited to rare and unusual bottles, not something like the Hirschs since that info can be found on eBay and they can do their own leg work.

I am fond of seeing pictures of bottles I have not seen. There have been a few nice folks that have posted some really cool rare bottles and they were hit here and SB.com.

I know for a fact that folks that would have kept up their postings because they have a love for this juice have sworn off these sites because of the harsh responses from members.

I recommend that we caution on the site of kindness and give general info... It does not hurt anyone here with the inquiries...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I agree with Em here. That is wht I created this sticky thread. If you don't like people asking prices DON'T READ THIS THREAD! Block it off, but don't give some new member a load of crap. There is no reason to be rude or mean about it.

The fact is that there will always be people who want to know the value of a bottle and they will come the site. I would rather they have a positive experience than to think this site is filled with members who act like jerks.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby Brewer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:06 pm

Regarding the above posts, everyone's entitled to their opinion on this matter. That is our right. However, Mike made a decision which I agree with. There you have it. If you don't like posts regarding what someone's bottle is worth, DON'T read it. Very simple. Live and let live. Let's get on with it.
Bob
Brewer

Unread postby ethangsmith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

I have a sealed 750ml glass bottle of Michter's from Schaefferstown. It's from the mid-70s to early-80s as it still has a tax strap but is not square glass like the early ones. I also have several full decanters (1978 pint, 1978 quart, conestoga wagon, kauffman's covered bridge, and 1976 liberty bell) and a glass mini and glass 200ml. I also have a fairly extensive empty Michter's decanter collection. Any ideas what the full stuff, especially the glass ones are worth?
If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.
ethangsmith

Unread postby cmonagan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Some 20 years ago, we moved into the house where we now live and discovered a treasure trove of liquor and other alcohol-fueled refreshments in a small room in the basement. We have enjoyed dipping into this reserve from time to time. There was a fruity concoction from the Havana Liquor Store, half-bottles of 1929 Champagne now reduced to a brownish, uncarbonated liquid that tastes like sherry, five-gallon jugs of cherry cordial with labels saying they'd been homemade in 1931 and even a bottle of absinthe, the real thing, made by Pernod back toward the beginning of the 20th century. All of which brings me to the bourbon. There were two stashes of bourbon, all pints and still in their original boxes. One is Bourbon de Luxe that, according to the seal on the neck, was made in 1916 and bottled in 1933. The other is Old Grand-Dad, similarly made in 1917 and bottled in 1933. We have opened some of these bottles and enjoyed the novelty as well as the taste, which seems undiminished over the years, although there has been significant evaporation in some cases. We given some bottles as novelty gifts. But now that the novelty has pretty thoroughly worn off for us, I wonder about the possible value of the bottles we have left. Is there any way to know this? I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.
cmonagan

Next

Return to Collector's Corner