Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby silverfish » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 am

addicts wrote:Hello to All, I recently acquired a small horde of pre prohibition whiskey and scotch. The cornerstone of the stash are two full and sealed demijohns/carboys of Hannisville Rye Whiskey, distilled 1911, bottled in demijohns 1922 100 proof and Mt. Vernon Rye Whiskey, distilled 1919, bottled in demijohns 1922. 93 proof. Any idea of what they would be worth. Is anybody interested in them and how does one safely ship something like this. Thanks for any and all advice.

Here's someone with Hannisville & some information you might find helpful.
$200. for 200 mls is a bit outta my price range, but that's just me.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:45 pm

"Family lore has it that the Hannisville Rye was distilled in 1863, was held in oak barrels for 50 years or until 1913 when it was put into the carboys now in your possession."

Not bloody likely.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby addicts » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello and thanks for the reply. I tend to agree that shipping these would not be in their best interests....however, I am a scotch drinker, at the risk of blasphemy. They are both enclosed in rafia wraps, quite attractive. I know that alcohol is illegal to sell, but thanks anyway. If you want pics sned me your email, as I am unable to attach them on this site. Thanks. dkkoch@ouraynet.com
addicts

Unread postby addicts » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:09 pm

The tags on both demijohns state that the whiskeys were distilled in 1911 and 1919...so I do not think that the mid 1800s have any validity. I am also aware of some parties siphoning these whiskeys into 200 ml containers and selling them at some pretty steep prices.
addicts

Unread postby Hallsy493 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:13 am

I have a bottle of I.W. Harper 130 month, Bicentennial Edition that was purchased in 1976. It is the 4/5 quart and 86 proof. It it packaged in the decanter and encased in a box. I have searched all over for information on how much it is worth, but cannot find anything. I looked on Ebay to see if anyone had listed it, but still came up with nothing. Can you please tell me what this is worth. I see on your site, it is no longer available for purchase anywhere. Thanks.
Hallsy493

Unread postby bradh19 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:41 am

Hello Bourbon Enthusiasts,

Today I was looking for several high ball glasses in my grandmothers antique breakfront. In digging through the glasses and tea cups, I came a across a green box with 2 shot glasses and an unopened bottle Very Very Old Fitzgerald 100 proof bourbon. The bottle says that it is a 12 year old variety and it barreled in 1955 and bottled in 1967. It was distilled and bottled at the Stitzel Weller distillery.

I do not know much about this bottle or bourbon in general. I have done some research online but I have found varying prices and do not really trust what is on the internet. I am curious about what this bottle is worth and if I should just drink it and not sell it. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thank You and enjoy the holidays!
bradh19

Unread postby Lonnie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:09 pm

My grandmother asked me to check on a couple of bottles of bourbon she has still unopened from long ago. One is Eagle Rare. It is a 750ml bottle that came in a wooden box. I dont know anything at all about this stuff and dont know which numbers I might need off the bottle to determine if shes got anything. Any help will be appreciated. The sealed label numbers are: 059862495, if that helps? Please let me know if theres anyway to tell what shes got, Thanks...
Lonnie

Unread postby PaulO » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14 am

Some pictures of the Eagle Rare and other bottles would help. The discontinued 101 proof is a sought after dustie. This means your grandmother may have some very tastey whiskey, not so much a financial windfall.
PaulO

I.W. Harper Inquiry

Unread postby Hallsy493 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:55 pm

I have a bottle of I.W. Harper 130 month, Bicentennial Edition that was purchased in 1976. It is the 4/5 quart and 86 proof. It it packaged in the decanter and encased in a box. I have searched all over for information on how much it is worth, but cannot find anything. I looked on Ebay to see if anyone had listed it, but still came up with nothing. Can you please tell me what this is worth. I see on your site, it is no longer available for purchase anywhere. Thanks.
Hallsy493

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Because it is not BIB, it is probably worth under 100 dollars.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby whitebird » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:Because it is not BIB, it is probably worth under 100 dollars.
Joe

Hello Joe:

I am quite the novice here, what does BIB stand for?
whitebird

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am

Bottled in Bond = BiB. In other words 100 proof.
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

old grand dad one gallon bottle

Unread postby jb2121 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

I have a old grand dad one gallon bottle. Unopen. Full. It has a wooden stand it sits on. My uncle and aunt received it as a wedding gift back in the 70's. I got it after their passing. Does anyone have a idea how much this thing is worth?
jb2121

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Can you post a photo??
Joe

Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:01 pm

Since no one seems to read the sticky note, I'll summarize here.

Selling old bottles of whiskey is complicated by the fact that it is illegal to sell alcohol without a license.

Most old bottles are worth little or nothing.

The most desirable, like the Very Very Old Fitzgerald mentioned earlier, can be sold for hundreds of dollars if you can find a willing buyer. That's the top end. That old bottle of whiskey you found in grandpa's bar is not going to put your kids through college.

Although we are telling people to "ask how much your bottle is worth here," it's a question no one can really answer. The re-sale market is too small and too secretive for anyone to be able to provide a reliable appraisal. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either ignorant or trying to con you.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

PreviousNext

Return to Collector's Corner