Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Re: Ask How Much Your Bottle is Worth Here

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 pm

There is no great value in those pint bottles but I would guess they are about $100.00 per bottle on ebay. It sounds like you found a pretty good stash of spirits. Enjoy and post some tasting notes.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby cmonagan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Yes, we've gone through quite a bit over the years. A 1930s bottle of Chartreuse comes to mind, with its beautiful etched glass, so does lots of rye, including some old Bellows Treasure Cove (we still have a couple unopened) and 1940s Heublein premixed Manhattans in a bottle (eww!). But we have more to try, too. There are Prohibition-era bottles of Mt. Vernon rye and Sherwood whiskey, vintage Argentine bolskummel, Bellows apricot liqueur and Delatour Bananas of St. Croix liqueur, among others. Bottoms Up!!
cmonagan

Unread postby djresha » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:04 pm

I just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey 12 Year (101 proof) with a gold label (on sale for $40). From the available info online, it seems like this may be an early 1990s release. Does anyone have any info on this bottle?
djresha

Unread postby p_elliott » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 am

Check the reviews section I think this is your bottle.

DBvd.php?id=32&task=displaybottling
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Although this thread doesn't seem to be serving its intended purpose, I agree with its premises.

1) Don't jump down people's throats when they ask how much something is worth. If you can't post something helpful, don't post anything.

2) A post that points the poster to the relevant stickies, without being snarky about it, would be considered helpful.

3) Such inquiries can be good for us if they give us a chance to see and learn about interesting bottles. If you possess relevant information but don't want to share it with a potential eBay seller, then keep it to yourself.

4) Some of us engage in 'illegal' alcohol transactions and some of us don't. I've expressed my opinion at length elsewhere. Yes, it's a crime, but it's not murder. We should be able to co-exist. When interesting bottles are posted here, it's almost always possible to communicate privately with the poster. 'nuff said.

While Mike is correct in saying that none of us are professional appraisers, I can't believe any responsible professional appraiser would attempt an appraisal of any old bottle of American whiskey, so if you find a person who claims to be a professional appraiser who says they can make such an appraisal, be very suspicious.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I can't say if a bottle collector might like the bottle but the liquor is most likely undrinkable. Although most straight spirits are virtually indestructible, liqueurs are not and will go bad in a couple of years.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby Jacksmommie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 pm

I have 2 bottles of Rare Antique Kentucky Bourbon. One is the Benjamin Franklin Commemorative Statue & the other is American Patriot Commemorative statue. Both of these are still sealed and also in their original boxes. I am not a drinker and came by these as a gift. I would like to know what they might be worth. I believe these are the 1st and 2nd bottles.
Jacksmommie

Unread postby cowdery » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:06 am

If what you have is a ceramic decanter--more statue than bottle--it probably would be worth more to a decanter collector than to a bourbon fan. Whiskey stored for long periods in ceramic is likely to have problems, there's maybe a 50/50 chance it's undrinkable. Also, that brand -- "Rare Antique" -- is unfamiliar. There was an Antique brand, which was a Seagram's product, but I'm not aware of them doing decanters. With something like that, pictures would help a lot. As it is, nothing you've said has rung any bells for me. On the other hand, they might be rare decanters prized by decanter collectors, but that's not us.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby irishvitae » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any info on this bottle of Old Taylor. I know it is not as old as a lot of Old Taylor that people talk about (bottle or liquid), but I'm still curious about it. I got it from my grandfather quite a while ago, not sure to go with it now though.

Any help including value, age, etc is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Attachments
OldTaylor_Cap.jpg
OldTaylor_Cap.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 26447 times
OldTaylor_Front.jpg
OldTaylor_Front.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 26448 times
irishvitae

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 pm

I think we drank one just like that at the "Bistro" last Wednesday. Mike Veach should remember this one and be able to describe it in detail (with tasting notes).
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Johnn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:44 pm

"This rare old Bourbon was custom distilled in one of Kentucky's oldest and smallest Distilleries."
Well, it's so old and small that I can't find ANYTHING about it on the web. The bottle says EZRA CLAYTON Limited Reserve 90.4 proof 12 years old
20 barrels/128 bottles each Distillation date December 24, 1954, and some serial numbers. Bottled by Trojan Distillers.

Does anyone have a clue on these folks?

Johnn
Johnn

Unread postby bunghole » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Johnn wrote:"This rare old Bourbon was custom distilled in one of Kentucky's oldest and smallest Distilleries."
Well, it's so old and small that I can't find ANYTHING about it on the web. The bottle says EZRA CLAYTON Limited Reserve 90.4 proof 12 years old
20 barrels/128 bottles each Distillation date December 24, 1954, and some serial numbers. Bottled by Trojan Distillers.

Does anyone have a clue on these folks?

Johnn

Ya got me on that one, Johnn, but I'll give the thread a bump. How many bottles of this do you have? Is there any way you could post a few clear sharply focused photos? Blurry/fuzzy photos are useless.
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby Johnn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:41 am

Here's a pic from my scanner...I hope.
Johnn

Unread postby Johnn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:57 am

This might be in the right size. I have just the one bottle. Seal on the cap and a nice purple ribbon with it. And as I look on the back, I see, raised letters in the glass that read..."Federal law forbids sale or re-use of this bottle."
Attachments
Ezra3.jpg
Ezra3.jpg (345.91 KiB) Viewed 26323 times
Johnn

Unread postby bunghole » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:56 am

That's good, Johnn. Lawrenceburg is the key here. If this was distilled by the Ripy family at what is now Wild Turkey, this should be some excellent bourbon. 12 years old and all 20 barrels distilled on the same cold December day also points in the direction of excellence. 1954 was the year that Jimmy Russell started working there as a general distillery worker.

I don't really know how many, or few distilleries were in operation there in 1954. I hope Mike Veach; Chuck Cowdery, or John Lipman chime in on this one.

If the bourbon is clear, as in not cloudy, and the seal is sound - then the bourbon is still good to drink. If you enjoy bourbon then you are going to want to

DRINK IT MAN, DRINK IT!

Linn
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

PreviousNext

Return to Collector's Corner