How much is my bottle of Booker's Worth

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

How much is my bottle of Booker's Worth

Unread postby abelis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:18 pm

I have a bottle of Booker's that I won at a charity auction about ten years ago. The bottle comes in a wood box It is sealed with wax. The tag reads 8 Years old 125.5 Proof Batch No C88-J-17 Booker Noe Master Distiller. It is numberd 01405 then underneath in a smaller number is 24-2422. The label is signed by Booker Noe and reads "All The Best Booker Noe" . As I said, I won it and it didn't come with authentication papers.

The bottle is unopened and in excellent condition. I have attached a couple of pictures

Also, any recommendations on storage of the bottle? Standing, lying down, anything?

Thanks.
Attachments
Bookers Label Close Up.jpg
Bookers Label Close Up.jpg (825.65 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
Bookers Bottle Signature.jpg
Bookers Bottle Signature.jpg (973.55 KiB) Viewed 11117 times
Bookers Batch Label.jpg
Bookers Batch Label.jpg (712.44 KiB) Viewed 11112 times
Bookers bottle in box.jpg
Bookers bottle in box.jpg (366.69 KiB) Viewed 11110 times
abelis

Re: How much is my bottle of Booker's Worth

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:22 am

the same price you paid for it.... no more, no less....
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby NeoTexan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 am

You will find that the folks here (and on other bourbon forums) do not like the question as to what a bottle is worth. It is considered bad form. Like all items (baseball cards as a prime example), it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you wish to determine a value for, say insurance purposes, place it on E-bay with a reserve that is so high that you would part with it (i.e. $5000) and see what the market has to say.

As for storage, unlike wine, these corks should not touch the liquid. Store it upright.
NeoTexan

Unread postby abelis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:33 pm

NeoTexan wrote:You will find that the folks here (and on other bourbon forums) do not like the question as to what a bottle is worth. It is considered bad form. Like all items (baseball cards as a prime example), it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you wish to determine a value for, say insurance purposes, place it on E-bay with a reserve that is so high that you would part with it (i.e. $5000) and see what the market has to say.

As for storage, unlike wine, these corks should not touch the liquid. Store it upright.

Thanks for the suggestion on storage. As for the recommendation on what is "bad form", I placed my posting in collector's corner unsure as to whether or not it had any collectible value. I would think a board like this is exactly the place for such a question. Perhaps asked in a different way. Being an appraiser myself, it is ironic your answer is "what someone would pay for it" . Obviously. If what your real answer is that there is no collectible value in a bottle signed by Booker Noe and that the particular batch, age etc. do not appreciate in this particular genre of liquor then so be it. There are enthusiast boards for wines where people who consider themselves collectors or connoisseurs would not hesitate to pass on their knowledge to those that admittedly lack that knowledge. Otherwise, why collect other than for pure self gratification.
abelis

Unread postby silverfish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:44 pm

abelis wrote:Thanks for the suggestion on storage. As for the recommendation on what is "bad form", I placed my posting in collector's corner unsure as to whether or not it had any collectible value. I would think a board like this is exactly the place for such a question. Perhaps asked in a different way.

I've found the folks on this (and other) bourbon forums to be most
generous, sharing their knowledge and experiences freely. The
"Collector's Corner" title might be a bit misleading as far as finding
value for a specific item - more like finding an old item and sharing
it with the group. Just because other forums have a similarly named
thread doesn't mean this one is conducted the same fashion.

abelis wrote:Being an appraiser myself, it is ironic your answer is "what someone would pay for it" . Obviously.

Is it safe to assume you're not an appraiser of bourbon/whiskey which
is why you asked here? Perhaps if you'd provided a little background
about yourself (e.g. "I'm a wine appraiser..."), you may have received
a little "professional courtesy"?...

abelis wrote:If what your real answer is that there is no collectible value in a bottle signed by Booker Noe and that the particular batch, age etc. do not appreciate in this particular genre of liquor then so be it.

I would think a Booker Noe signed bottle would have some value as
a collectible but to most folks here, a 25 year old signed bottle may not differ
in value from a 5 year old signed bottle. And to be honest, anyone can easily
print up a "Certificate of Authenticity" so "authentication papers" are a non-issue
unless it was an item from an auction house with proper documentation and
you are treating it as a "collectible item" and not simply a bottle of bourbon.

abelis wrote:There are enthusiast boards for wines where people who consider themselves collectors or connoisseurs would not hesitate to pass on their knowledge to those that admittedly lack that knowledge. Otherwise, why collect other than for pure self gratification.

All "enthusiast" forums do not operate the same. Wine forums might be geared
more to collectors due to the nature of the product. Most bourbon forums I've
come across are simply fans (drinkers) who like talking about something they
enjoy. The difference may be a wine collector who collects wine with an eye toward
increased value in the wine. A bourbon "collector" collects bourbon that he intends
to open and drink.

As for your questions, Dump Bucket answered the subject line. Around here, it's
(for the most part) worth what you paid. End of story. And NeoTexan answered
your storage question. Members have not hesitated to "pass on their knowledge"
and would welcome your continued participation on the forums. If you simply wanted
and dollar amount for the item in question, do as NeoTexan suggested and place it
on ebay. That'd give you a "true market value" better than anyone here could offer.
John Q.
Visit the Silverfish Gallery!
silverfish

Unread postby abelis » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:21 pm

For the sake of closure:

I wanted to ensure I was not about to open the equivalent of a Chateau Lafite Rothschild.

I enjoy a good bourbon but had never given it much thought. Having come across this bottle from years ago I thought it worth checking. An innocent inquiry not intended to touch an obviously sensitive nerve.

I look forward to enjoying this the way it was intended: neat.
abelis

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:12 am

abelis wrote:For the sake of closure:

I wanted to ensure I was not about to open the equivalent of a Chateau Lafite Rothschild.

I enjoy a good bourbon but had never given it much thought. Having come across this bottle from years ago I thought it worth checking. An innocent inquiry not intended to touch an obviously sensitive nerve.

I look forward to enjoying this the way it was intended: neat.

I was not being a smart as when I told you the same price you paid for it. Bookers is common and did not appreciate because it was signed.... You might get an extra $25 bump on eBay if the right bidder wanted it, but by the time you covered the eBay and Paypal fees, you would have ended up with the same amount of the original purchase...

I am at slight odds with some folks on the collectable corner here... I have no issue with folks asking what something is worth. If not here, where would you ask. SB.com is a bit on the .... errr... violent side with this question comes up. So, no offence taken, thanks for joining the site and hope to see you post your notes on the juice once you open it...

Now, if you run across any pre-prohibition era Old Crow, Old Fitz, etc… now you might have something of appreciated value… but most of us here would still just drink it…
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby abelis » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:50 am

Dumpbucket,

Thanks for the reply. I will be enjoying this bottle at the poker game I host going forward. I agree with you in regards to the place for things to be asked. I am active on a number of tech boards and have little tolerance for people who attack new posters for not knowing their "etiquette". If you don't like a question, don't respond. The only thing a nasty response accomplishes is keeping a post active an in view. These boards are for people to ask questions and share knowledge. If you know something share it. If you feel the need to feel good about yourself by making someone else feel bad(or stupid) for asking a question, I recommend you speak to your therapist about it. Maybe not enough hugs from your parents or father issues. I don't know but the the satisfaction granted by the anonymity of sites like this can only take you so far...

Cheers to all and Happy New Year.

Over the teeth, under the gums, look out stomach, here it comes.....
abelis

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 pm

abelis wrote:I will be enjoying this bottle at the poker game I host going forward.

Go ahead and post your tasting notes in the Bourbon Review section... I would love to see your thoughts on this proof monster.... the ones I have had have been hotand young, but I understand teh early ones are rich and deeper...
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Unread postby NeoTexan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:50 am

abelis wrote:Dumpbucket,

I am active on a number of tech boards and have little tolerance for people who attack new posters for not knowing their "etiquette". If you don't like a question, don't respond. The only thing a nasty response accomplishes is keeping a post active an in view.

I hope you did not perceive my response as an attack. My answer was just an explanation of how many on this board )and almost everyone on another board) treat these questions and providing a solution to help determine the value.

Personally, I have no problem answering these questions. My personal expertise (if you can say I have one) is in having some knowledge of MM items and would be happy to assist someone in determining the value of one of there items.

If I offended, I apologize.
NeoTexan

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:51 am

Enjoy the bourbon and after you have drunk it, you will still have an autographed bottle from Booker Noe. This bottle may be worth more since Booker's death a few years ago, bot it is still not worth a whole lot. In 50 years it may be worth some money, but not a whole lot unless they change the laws allowing individuals to sell without a license. The fact that you can go to jail as well as lose your bottle will always keep the price down since such deals will always be under the table deals.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Return to Collector's Corner