Can you ID this bottle of Old Hickory?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Can you ID this bottle of Old Hickory?

Unread postby Scoots » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Image Image Image

Sorry about the photo quality, I have twice as many blurry ones!

This particular bottle is a Philly bottle. As far as I can tell it is complete, unopened, and owned by a relative of mine in Germany. It was purchased at the little PX of the now closed US Army post in Bad Hersfeld, Germany (closed in 1993). It is believed to have been purchased in the late 60's or early 70's when another relative, now deceased, was last posted in Germany, he retired from the Army in 1972 with 30 years of service.

Can anyone better ID this bottle/decanter for me. My German cousin is not a bourbon drinker and would like to sell it.

Thank you
:cheers:
Image I love the smell of bourbon in the morning!
Scoots

Re: Can you ID this bottle of Old Hickory?

Unread postby Kinsey Worker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 am

Hi Scoots I can tell you one thing right away it is from the mid to Late 1950's. Also it is one that was bottled at our old Biggler Street Bottling house in Philadelphia.
I have two different Decanters of the same time but different then theirs. Can you get them to let you know what the Numbers on the bottom of the bottle are the first should be D-90 then some other numbers once you give me them I can just about tell you the exact date! It is a very nice bottle and one I have not seen before and it has some Wonderful Bourbon inside it I will tell you that, the Old Hickory of The 1950's and 60's was some of our very Best. Is it 86 proof?

Get me all the numbers on the bottom in the glass and I will give you the date.
Kinsey Worker -- Dave Z
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It Seems All The Nicest people Drink Old Hickory
America's Most magnificent Bourbon
Kinsey Worker

Unread postby J-Thomas » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:05 pm

I've had a bottle of Old Hickory I found unopened in my grandfathers house after he passed away and I've been wondering just how old it is. Just by looking at it Im guessing the 70's but really have no idea. The numbers on the bottom are :
on the top just a 29 with a line under it
next line L-92532A
next says Liquor bottle
next line D-90
next line 9 the symbol 78
bottom 6

Im only 25 years old so I've never tried Old Hickory If its as good as some has stated I might just have to try it :D thanks for any help
J-Thomas

Unread postby p_elliott » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 am

I'm by no means the dusty expert here but if I was to guess I would say it's from 1978. Open that puppy up and try it then report your findings back to us. Call it your initiation project all initiations should be so rough :lol:.

By the way be careful with that cork it will probably want to break if it does don't worry just get the cork out. Strain the bourbon threw a coffee filter into another container, then get the remaining cork out of the bottle, rinse out bottle. Pour bourbon back into bottle and replace cork with new one. You can get new corks at the hardware store if you don't have a variety saved.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Return to Collector's Corner