Old Bevan?

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Bevan?

Unread postby logan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 pm

I have 4 bottles of Old Bevan Brand Maryland Straight Whiskey bottled in 1941. Still sealed. My father had purchased these at a 20th Century Studios storage auction 20yrs ago. It was said to be Alfred Hitchcocks private collection. Wanted to know if anyone has more info on this Whiskey?
Thank you for any help.
logan

Old Bevan?

Unread postby cowdery » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:42 pm

I've never heard of that brand but if you can post pictures, we might be able to tell you more, and we would enjoy seeing them.

If you copied the label accurately, the designation 'straight whiskey,' with no other modifier, is interesting. That designation is reserved for products that do not meet the requirements for a named type of straight whiskey (e.g., straight bourbon whiskey or straight rye whiskey) but do meet the requirements for straight whiskey otherwise. Historically, Maryland had produced rye whiskey but when the legal distinction began to appear between blends and straights after 1904, a lot of Maryland producers who had in fact mostly been selling blends, or "compound whiskey," had trouble with the new labeling requirements and many went out of business.

As for what they're worth, I think most of the interest would be mere curiosity, which might get you $25 - $30 a bottle, probably not much more than that.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Return to Collector's Corner